Dean, School of Environment, Water and Natural Resources
Senior Lecturer, Department of Environment and Land Resources Management, South Eastern Kenya University,
Address: P.O. Box 170-90200, Kitui, KENYA.
Senior Lecturer (Environmental Geography) | Lead Environmental Consultant | Environmental and Social Safeguard Expert | Mentor | Researcher (Human-Environment Relationships, Urban and Rural Livelihoods Security, Natural Resource Management)
- PhD in Environmental Studies, Tohoku University, JAPAN, 2006-2009.
Thesis Title: ‘A Geographical and Longitudinal Approach to Rural Livelihood Security and Crisis Responses in Central Kenya.’ Advisor: Prof. Gen Ueda2 | P a g e
- Master of Arts in Urban Geography, University of Nairobi, KENYA, 2001-2004
Thesis Title: ‘The Role of Rural-Urban Linkages in Urban and Regional Development: A Case Study of Spatial Interaction of Municipality of Machakos and Rural Umland.’ Advisor: Prof. G.C. Macoloo and Dr. S.O. Owuor
- Bachelor of Arts in Geography Major (first class honors), University of Nairobi, KENYA, 1994-1998
Dissertation project: ‘Informal Tertiary Sector Activities in Municipality of Machakos, Machakos District,Kenya.’ Advisor: Dr. S.O. Owuor
- Certificate in Strategic Leadership and Change Management, Q-Point at South Eastern Kenya University (SEKU), 26th – 28th November 2013.
- Certificate in ISO Auditors Quality Management System based on ISO 9001:2008, Sleek Consultants Limited at South Eastern University College (SEUCO), 19th to 20th April 2012.
- Certificate in Environmental Impact Assessment and Audit, South Eastern University College (SEUCO), 11th to 29th October 2010.
- Certificate in Implementation of a Quality Management System based on ISO 9001:2008, Alpex Consulting Africa Limited at South Eastern University College (SEUCO), 5th to 7th May 2010.
- Certificate in Public Procurement and Disposal ACT 2005 and Regulations 2006, Global Training Institute, 14th to 15th September 2010.
- Certificate in Performance Management and Contracting, Global Training Institute, 18th April 2011
- Certificate in Japanese Intensive Language Course, Tohoku University, JAPAN, 2006 April– 2006 September
- Musyoka V. M, Ndungu C. K and Kauti, M. K. (2019): Forestry Provisioning Ecosystem Services Extraction by Forest Adjacent Communities: Evidence from Chyulu Hills Forest, Makueni County, Kenya, International Journal of Environmental Sciences & Natural Resources, Volume 17 Issue 5.
- Kazungu, A.T, Kauti, M.K and Gikuma, N.P, (2019): Cost Benefit Analysis of Different Energy Sources used in Public Secondary Schools in Mtito-Andei Division, Makueni County, Kenya, International Journal of Environmental Sciences & Natural Resources.
- Masila, S. M, Kauti, M. K, and Kimiti, J. M, (2019): Effects of Land Degradation on Agricultural Land use: a Case Study of Smallholder Farmers Indigenous Knowledge on Land Use Planning and Management in Kalama Division, Machakos County, Current Journal of Applied Science and Technology, 34(3): 1-15.
- Mutwiwa,C., Rotich, B., Kauti, M., Rithaa, J. (2018): Ethnobotanical Survey of Medicinal Plants in Mwala Sub-County, Machakos County, Kenya, Journal of Diseases and Medicinal Plants Vol. 4(4): 110-119.
- Kisangau, D., Kauti, M., Mwobobia, R., Kanui, T., Musimba, N. (2017): Traditional knowledge on use of medicinal plants in Kitui County, Kenya, International Journal of Ethnobiology & Ethnomedicine, 4(1). 1-10.
- Kauti, M. K, Kebenei, M. C, Kyulu D. M, Levu K, M, Mumo F.M, (2017): Urban Water Resource Use and Management: An Assessment of Challenges and Opportunities of Community Water Supply Systems in Wote Town, Makueni County, Kenya, Journal of Geography, Environment and Earth Science International, Volume 12 Issue 3.
- Cheruto, M. C, Kauti, M.K, Kisangau, P.D and Kariuki, P (2016): Assessment of Land Use and Land Cover Change Using GIS and Remote Sensing Techniques: A Case Study of Makueni County, Kenya, J Remote Sensing & GIS 5: 175. doi: 10.4175/2469-4134.1000175
- Kieti R.N, Kauti, M.K and Kisangau, D.P (2016). Household Livelihood Strategies and Socio Economic Conditions Influencing Watershed Degradation in Kaiti Sub-watershed, Makueni County, Kenya, Journal of Scientific Research & Reports 12(2): 1-13, 2016; Article no. JSRR.28412 ISSN: 2320-0227.
- Kauti, M.K., Kanui, T.I., Wambua, R. and Mwobobia, R.M (2016): Evaluation of Household Soil Conservation Technologies in Arid and Semi-Arid Lands (ASALs) (The Case of Kitui Central, Mulala and Wote Divisions in Kenya), International Journal of Plant & Soil Science Vol. 11 (5).
- Kieti R.N, Kauti, M.K and Kisangau, D.P (2016). Biophysical Conditions and Land Use Methods Contributing to Watershed Degradation in Makueni County, Kenya, Journal of Ecosystem & Ecography, Volume 6, Issue 4, ISSN: 2157-7625.
- Kanui, T.I., Kauti, M.K., Mwobobia, R.M (2016): The Status of Livestock Livelihood Support System in the South Eastern Dry Lands of Kitui and Makueni Counties, Kenya, International Journal of Livestock Research Vol 6 (04): 73-82, 2016.5 | P a g e
- Otsuki, Y., Sasaki, A., Kauti, M. K., Ueda, G., Yuzawa, T., and Yanase, S. (2016). “Gully erosion and natural resource use in a semi-arid pastoral area, North Laikipia, Kenya” [in Japanese] in Quarterly Journal of Geography Volume 67 Number 4, 256, 2016.
- Kauti, Matheaus Kioko (2015): The Role of Social Network and Regional System in Maintaining Livelihood Security of Smallholder Farmers in Central Kenya, Asian Journal of Agricultural Extension, Economics & Sociology 8 (3): 1-23, 2015.
- Kauti, Matheaus Kioko (2012): A Geographical and Longitudinal Approach to Rural Livelihood Security and Crisis Responses in Central Kenya: The Case of Crop Variety and Livestock Breed Selection Journal of Geography and Regional Planning Vol. 5(6), pp. 173-188, 18 March, 2012.
- Otsuki, Y., Ueda, G., Kauti, M. K., and Sasaki, A. (2010): Slope Processes of Agricultural Areas and Farmers’ Cognition of the Landform Condition in the Central Kenya [in Japanese] in Quarterly Journal of Geography Volume 62 Number 3, 152-153, 2010-11-15.
- Kauti, Matheaus Kioko (2009): Rural Livelihood Security Assessment for Smallholders Undergoing Economic Changes and Agro-Climatic Events in Central Kenya, Working Paper on
Socio-Ecological Resilience Series No. 2009-007; Research Institute for Humanity and Nature (RIHN)- Inter-University Research Institute Corporation, National Institutes for the Humanities, Kyoto, JAPAN.(http://www.chikyu.ac.jp/resilience/publication-W_e.html.).
- Kauti, Matheaus Kioko (2008): Coping and Adaptation Processes under Economic Liberalization and Agro-ecologic Changes by Small holders in Central Kenya, in Quarterly Journal of Geography Volume 60 Number 3, 2008.
- Kauti, Matheaus Kioko (2008): Household Livelihood Coping Strategies of Smallholders, Central Kenya: The Case of Kabendera and Kiambogo Settlements, Nyeri in Quarterly Journal of Geography Volume 60 Number 1, 2008.
- Kauti, Matheaus Kioko (2002): Developing of Urban Centres into Cities”, in Urban Journalism, Ndegwa, S and S, Kasera (eds). (2002). Rapporteur’s Report on a Training Seminar on Raising Awareness of Media Practitioners on Urban Issues, Second Seminar Report. Nairobi: Media Development Association.