Dr. Nguluu, a PhD holder is formerly a Principal Research Officer at KARI-Katumani. In a centre whose mandate was to carry out research aimed at improving livelihoods in the arid and semiarid areas (ASAL) of Kenya. He is also an agronomist with specialty in soil science, seed production, and ASALs agricultural practices. Dr. Nguluu has worked with the Ministry of Agriculture as an Agricultural Extension Officer (7 years), with Kenya Agricultural Research Institute (KARI) as a Research Officer and Principal Research Officer (22 years), and Principal Investigator for various projects within KARI. In December 2003, on referral from KARI, he was appointed by the Kenya government through the Ministry of Agriculture to be the Agricultural Operations Manager at the Kenya Seed Company, a position he held until 2007. His responsibility was to design operations and produce all seeds for the company. He has a wealth of experience in ASAL farming techniques, seed production for crops and pastures, participatory research methodologies, intercropping, soil fertility, soil and water management, and small scale drip irrigation. Over the years, he has acquired managerial skills, managing projects funded by the European Union, World Bank, USAID, ACIAR and various government funded projects in Soil Science, Agronomy and Food security. He is now a senior lecturer and Chairman in the department of dry land agriculture at South Eastern Kenya University (SEKU) with effect from November 1st 2013. He has published 35 papers in peer reviewed journals and 42 papers in peer reviewed conferences. He has also written two manuals, one on agriculture extension recommendations and another on participatory methodologies. Has also developed technologies on efficient water utilization in ASALs
- 1988-1994: PhD and Msc from University of Queensland Brisbane, Australia. Soil Science and Plant nutrition PhD Thesis Topic:Effect of Phosphorus on the Nitrogen Contribution of Legumes in the Farming Systems of the Semi- arid Tropics
- 1983-1986: Bachelor of Science (Hons) Agriculture West Virginia University, USA.
Areas of specialization
Soil Science, Plant nutrition, crop modelling and Plant science
Soil Science , Plant nutrition, Water harvesting, Intercropping, crop modeling, crop-livestock interactions, Participatory methods of research, land degradation
- Njarui, D.M.G., Gatheru, M., Wambua, J.M., Nguluu, S.N., David M. Mwangi, D.M. and Keya, G.A. (2011).Consumption Patterns and Preference of Milk and Milk Products among Rural and Urban Consumers in Semi-Arid Kenya. Ecology of Food and Nutrition. 50: 3, 240 — 262
- Njarui, D.M.G., Gatheru, M., Wambua, J.M., Nguluu, S.N., Mwangi, D.M. and Keya, G.A. (2010).Challenges in milk processing and marketing among dairies in the semi-arid tropical Kenya. Livestock Research for Rural Development. 22:
- Njarui, D.M.G., Gatheru, M., Wambua, J.M., Nguluu, S.N., Mwangi, D.M. and Keya, G.A. (2011). Feeding management for dairy cattle in small holder farming systems of semi arid tropical Kenya. Livestock Research for Rural Development.Volume 23, Article #111. Retrieved November 11, 2011, from http://www.lrrd.org/lrrd23/5/njar23111.htm
- Njarui, D.M.G., Gatheru, M., Wambua, J.M., Nguluu, S.N., Mwangi, D.M. and Keya, G.A. (2010).Challenges in milk processing and marketing among dairies in the semi-arid tropical Kenya. Livestock Research for Rural Development. Volume 22, Article #35.Retrieved November 11, 2011, from http://www.lrrd.org/lrrd22/2/njar22035.htm
- Karanja, J, Nguluu, S. and Gatheru, M. (2012). Farm yard manure reduces the virulence of Alectra vogelii (Benth) on cowpea (Vigna unguiculata). African Journal of Plant Science 6(3):130-136, Available online at http://www.academicjournals.org/AJPS
- Nguluu, S.N, Probert, M.E.,. Myers, R.J.K and Waring, S.A. (1996). Effect of tissue phosphorus concentration on the mineralization of Nitrogen from stylo and cowpea residues. Plant and soil. 191:139-146.
- Nguluu, S.N. Itabari, J.K., Ikombo, B.M., Wambua, J.M. and Gichangi, E. (1999). Water application methods for small-scale production of tomatoes in the semi-arid areas of Eastern Kenya. E.Afric. for J. 65 (1) 51-56.
- Nguluu, S.N. Probert, M.E,. McCown, R.L., Myers, R.J.K and waring S.A.(1996), Isotopic discrimination associated with symbiotic nitrogen fixation in stylo and cowpea. Nutrient cycling in Agrosystems. 62:11-14
- Ockwell, A.P., Muhammad, L. Nguluu, S.N., Patron, K.A., Jones, R.K. and McCown, R.L. (1991). Characteristics of improved technologies that affect their adoption in the semi-arid tropics of Eastern Kenya. Journal of farming systems Research and extension 2: (1) 29-46.
- Kathuli, P., Itabari, J.K., Nguluu, S.N., and Gichangi, E.M. (2010). Farmer perception on sub-soiling technology, for water harvesting in eastern Kenya. E. Afr. For. J. 76 (2), 103-107.
- Kathuli, P. Musyoki, R., Nguluu, S.N., Omari, F. Matimbii, S.M., and Mutunga, R. (2010). Area adaptability, growth and response to fertilizer application by three common aloe species in semi-arid eastern Kenya. E. Afr. For. J. 76 (2): 31-36
- Gachimbi, L.N., Van Keulen, E., Thuranira, E.G., Karuku,A.M., De Jager, A., Nguluu, S.N., Ikombo B.M., Kinama, J.M., Itabari, J.K., and Nandwa, S.M., (2005). Nutrient balances at farm level in Machakos (Kenya), Using a participatory monitoring approach (NUTMON). Land policy, 22:13-22.
- Kimatu, J.N, McConchie, R., Xiuyan,Xie, and Nguluu, S.N. (2012). The Significant Role of Post-Harvest Management in Farm Management, Aflatoxin Mitigation and Food Security in Sub-Saharan Africa. Greener Journal of Agricultural Sciences, 2 (6), 279-288.
- Mo Fei , Hong, Z., Jianyong, W., Zhao H., Hengjia, Z. 2, Wu Shan , Yinglong, C., Tong, Y. Haoliang, D., Batool, A., Runyuan, W., Nguluu, S.N., Li Fengmin, Xiong, Y. (2013). Advances in the development and application of micro-field rain-harvesting and evaporation-preventing technologies. Transactions of the Chinese Society of Agricultural Engineering. 29 ( 8 ) 1-17
- Kathuli, P., Itabari, J.K., Nguluu, S.N., Sijali, I.V., Gatuthu, J., and Kaura, S. (2013). Soil Salinization in Selected irrigation Schemes in Semi-Arid Lands of Taveta County- Kenya. E. Afr. agric. For. J. 79 (2), 57-62.
- Mutisya, D., Karanja, D. and Nguluu, S. (2013). Effect of environmental factors on bean pests and yield quality in different agro ecological zones in Kenya. Global Journal of Agriculture and Health Sciences, 2(3): 81-84
- Karanja, J. Nguluu, S.N. Wambua, J. and Gatheru, M. (2013) Response of cowpea genotypes to Alectra vogelii parasitism in Kenya. African Journal of Biotechnology. 12 (47): 6591-6598,
- Kimatu, J.N. Mutuli, W.M. Mbiri, J.W. Musimba, N. Akuja, T. and Nguluu, S. (2014).The dynamics of physical properties, seed moisture content, market economics and post harvest management of six bean varieties (Phaseolus vulgaris) grown in the sub Saharan region in Africa. Journal of Advances in Agriculture 3(1): 101-109
- Nzioki H. S., Kinyua Z.M., Karanja J., Nguluu S., Wambua J., Gatheru M. (2014). Pot and Field Evaluation of Fusarium oxysporum Isolates for Biological Control of Alectra vogelii Weed in Semi-Arid Eastern Kenya. International Journal of AgriScience Vol. 4(7): 383-391,
- Nguluu, S. N., Karanja, J., Kimatu J.N,, Gicheru, P.T., Musimba, N., Njiru, E., Kathuli, P., Nzioki, H. , Akuja, T. , Muli, B.K. ., Nzombe, N.N. (2014). Refining Dryland Farming Systems as a Means of Enhancing Agrodiversity and Food Security in Eastern Kenya: A review. Journal of Advances in Agriculture 3(1): 142-149, ISSN 2349-0837
- Simon Nguluu, David Karanja, David Macharia, Josphert Kimatu, James Karanja, Henry Nzioki , Peter Kathuli and Nashon Musimba (2014). Response of different bean genotypes to soil nutrients and water in the semi-arid areas of eastern Kenya .Journal of Advances in agriculture,3(2):183-187, ISSN 2349-0837
- Fei Mo, Wang, J, Y. Xiong, Y.C., Nguluu, S.N., Feng, M.L. (2016). Ridge-furrow mulching system in semi-arid Kenya: A promising solution to improve soil water availability and maize productivity. Europ. J. Agronomy 80 (2016) 124-136.
- Wang, J. Y., Fei Mo, Nguluu, S.N., Xhou, H., Ren, H. X., Zang, J. Kariuki, C.W., Gicheru, P. Kavaji, L. Xiong, Y.C., Feng, M.L. (2016). Exploring microfield water harvesting farming system in dryland wheat (Triticum aestivum):An innovative management for semi-arid Kenya. Field Crops Research. Doi: 10.1016/ j.fcr 2016.07.001
- Maluki, J.M., Nguluu, S. and Musyoki, J.K. (2016). Adoption levels of agroforestry tree types in semi-arid areas of Kenya: A case for Makueni. Journal of Agricultural Extension and Rural Development. 8(9):187-196
- Mutuku, M.M., Nguluu, S.N., Akuja, T.E. and Bernard, P. (2016). Factors affecting adoption of soil and water management practices in Machakos county . Journal of Advanced Agricultural Technologies 3(4):292-295.
- Fei Mo, Jian-Yong Wang, Hong Zhou, Chong –Liang Luo, Xiao_Feng Zhang, Xiao-Yan Li, Feng-Min Li, Liang-Bing Xiong, Levis Kavagi, Simon N. Nguluu, You-Cai Xiong. (2017). Ridge furrow plastic-mulching with balanced fertilization in rainfed maize (Zea mays L.): An Adaptive management in east African Plateau. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 236: 100-112.
- Boniface M. Mwami, Simon N. Nguluu, Jacinta M. Kimiti, Josphert N. Kimatu. (2017). Effects of water imbibitions of selected bean varieties on germination. International J. of Agricultural Research and Review. 5(1): 579-587.
- M.Mutua-Mutuku, S.N. Nguluu, T. Akuja, M. Lutta, P. Bernard. (2017). Factors that influence adoption of integrated soil fertility and water management practices by smallholder farmers in the semi-arid areas of eastern Kenya. Tropical and Subtropical Agroecosystems, 20: 141-153
- Fei Mo, Jian-Yong Wang, Feng-Min Li, Simon N. Nguluu, Hong-Xu-Ren, Hong Zhou, Jian Zhang, Charles w. Kariuki, Patrick Gicheru, Levis Kavagi, Wesley K. Cheruiyot, and You-Cai Xiong (2017). Yield-phenology relations and water use efficiency of maize (Zea mays L.) in ridge-furrow mulching system in semiarid east African Plateau. Scientific Reports (2017)7;3260
- Musyoka, S.M., Kanui, I.T. Nguluu, S., Wambua, S. and Ndathi, A. (2017). The Socio-Economic Factors Influencing Dairy Goat Production in Kitui, Township, Kyangwithya East and Kyangwithya West Wards of Central Kitui County –Kenya. International Journal of Education and Research. 5 :12) : 203-210.
- Thuo, C.N., Nguluu, S. and Kisangau, P. (2017). Socio-Economic Factors Affecting Adoption of Tissue Culture Bananas in Semi-Arid Areas of lower Eastern Region of Kenya. International Journal of Life Sciences Research. 5 (3): 164-172.
- Koima, I.N., Orek. C.O. and Nguluu,S.N. (2018).Contribution of cassava Mosaic and Brown Streak Diseases in Agro-ecological Zones of Lower Eastern Kenya. International Journal of Innovative Science and Research Technology. 3(1), 391-399.
- Fei Mo, Jian-Yong, Hong-Xu Ren, Guo-Jun Sun, Levis Kavagi, Hong zhou, Simon N. Nguluu, Patick Gicheru, Kiprotich. W. Cheruiyot and You Cai Xiong. (2018). Environmental and economic benefits of micro-field rain – harvesting system at maize (zea mays L.) field scale in semi-arid east African plateau. Agricultural Water Management 206 (2018) 102-112.
- Syanda, J., Nguluu, S., Kimatu, J., .Mwami, B.M and Karanja, D. (2018). The effects of physical properties of commonly grown bean (phaseolus vulgaris L) genotypes on cooking time in Machakos County, Kenya. International Journal of Agriculture, Environment and Bioresearch.3: (3), 292-300.
- Mwami, B. M., Nguluu, S.N., Kimiti, J. M., Akuja, T. and Muli, B.K (2018). Effects of biofortified fertilizer application rates on productivity of selected bean varieties under field conditions in semi-arid south eastern Kenya. International Journal of Agriculture, Environment and Bioresearch 3, (3), 247-254
- Mulwa, F.W and Nguluu, S.N. (2003). Participatory Monitoring and Evaluation. A strategy for organization strengthening. Second revised Edition. Zapf chancery and PREMESE Olivex Publishers, Nairobi Kenya. ISBN No. 9966974202.
- Agricultural extension manual for Marsabit District. Published by GTZ in 1999, Nairobi Kenya.