I am a drylands resource management and ecology scientist, with over 21 years working experience in range management research. I have worked with the nomadic pastoral communities of northern Kenya for more than 15 years. I have also worked with the agro-pastoral and pastoral communities of south eastern Kenya for slightly more than 10 years. Currently I am lecturing at the South Eastern Kenya University (SEKU). This has given me a wealth of experience in dryland resource management, social cultural issues in pastoralism, climate change adaptation and resilience, diagnostic surveys, ecosystems status and dynamics evaluation and monitoring, and participatory technology development approaches. My major strengths are in ecosystems and production systems analysis, methods of herbaceous and woody species surveys and dryland natural resource management.
- PhD, Dryland Resource Management (Production systems), University of Nairobi, Kenya, 2012
- MSc. Range Science (Range Ecology option), University of Nairobi, Kenya, 1997
- BSc. Range Management, University of Nairobi, Kenya, 1988.
Current Professional/Scientific Interests, Memberships, and Activities:
Animal Production Society of Kenya #1: MEMBER
List of referred journal publications as a main or co-author
- Ndathi, A.J.N., Muthiani, E.N., Ndung’u, J.N., Ogollo, B.O., Kimitei, R.K., Manyeki, J.K., Katiku, P.N. and Mnene, W.N. 2013. Feed resources and utilization strategies in selected pastoral and agropastoral communities in Kenya. Livestock research for Rural Development. Volume 25, Article # 221.
- Ndathi, A.J.N., Nyangito, M.M., Musimba, N.K.R. and Mitaru, B.N. 2012. Smallholder farmers’ feed material conservation strategies in the tropical dry-lands of South-eastern Kenya. Livestock research for Rural Development. Volume 24, Article # 96.
- Ndathi, A.J.N., Nyangito, M.M., Musimba, N.K.R. and Mitaru, B.N. 2012. Farmers’ preference and nutritive value of selected indigenous plant feed materials for cattle in drylands of south-eastern Kenya. Livestock research for Rural Development. Volume 24, Article # 28.
- Ndathi, A.J.N., Nyangito, M.M., Musimba, N.K.R. and Mitaru, B.N. 2011. Climate variability and dry season ruminant livestock feeding strategies in southeastern Kenya. Livestock research for Rural Development. Volume 23, Article # 199.
- Ndathi, A.J.N., Nyangito, M.M., Musimba, N.K.R. and Mitaru, B.N. 2011. Enhancing output
oriented livestock improvement strategies in drylands of Kenya. Livestock research for Rural Development. Volume 23, Article # 128.
- Muthiani, E.N., Kirwa, E.C. and Ndathi, A.J.N. 2011. Status of chicken consumption and marketing among the Maasai of Kajiado district, Kenya. Livestock research for Rural Development. Volume 23, Article # 158.
- Cheptarus Kirwa, E., Muthiani, E.N. and Ndathi, A.J.N. 2010. Pastoral chicken production trends: the case of Mashuru and Loitoktok divisions in Kajiado district, Kenya. Livestock research for Rural Development. Volume 22, Article # 124.
List of publications as a main or co-author
- Ndathi, A. J. N., I. N. Maina and H. K. Cheruiyot. 2004: Strategies for combating desertification within Kargi Rendille settlement and grazing areas. In proceedings of the 9th KARI biennial scientific conference and first Kenya agricultural research forum. Nairobi, Kenya.
- Ndathi, A. J. N. and Steve Langil, 2001: Drought Coping Strategies Among the Rendille of Marsabit District, Northern Kenya, In APSK Symposium Proceedings, Egerton University, Njoro, Kenya. Pg 67-71.
- Ndathi, A. J. N. and J. C. Ng’ethe, 2000: Estimating the Aboveground Biomass of Acacia reficiens and A. senegal in Northern Kenya, In Proceedings of the 6th KARI scientific Conference, Nairobi, Kenya.
- Steve Langil and A. J. N. Ndathi, 1998: Indigenous Knowledge of Desertification: A Progress Report from the Desert Margins Programme in Kenya, People, Land and Water Series, Report 2.
- Gachimbi, L.N. and A.J.N. Ndathi, 1997: Sand dune stabilization for increased biological productivity in the arid parts of Kenya. In proceedings of the 50th International wind erosion symposium/workshop, USDA, Kansas State University.
- Ndathi, A. J. N., 1994: Primary Production and Standing Biomass Estimation of Acacia reficiens and A. Senegal on the Mountain Slopes and Lowlands of Ngurunit Region in the Arid South-Western Marsabit, Northern Kenya, MSc. Thesis, University of Nairobi.
- Keya, G. A., I. K. Wamugi, and A. J. N. Ndathi, 1991: Preliminary Report on Long-Term Vegetation Changes in Arid and Semi-Arid Lands of Northern Kenya. IVthInternational Range Land Congress, Montpelleir, France.
List of technical reports as a main or co-author
- 1997-2002: Natural Resource Management and Ecology sections in the NALRC, Marsabit, Technical and Annual Reports.
- Sowing hope in the face of declining productivity in arid lands: A case study of Marsabit District, Kenya. (Ndung’u, J.N., G.A. Keya, I. Tura, A.O. Adongo, M.N. Ngutu, S.G. Kuria, I.N. Maina, J.C. Njanja, G.W. Njoroge, B.O. Nyamori, F. Wayua and A.J.N. Ndathi). In Linda Crissman. 2004. Agricultural Research and development for sustainable resource management and food security in Kenya. Proceedings of the Agriculture/Livestock Research support programme, Phase II. End of programme conference. 11-12 November 2003. Kenya Agricultural Research Institute. Pg. 79-101.
- 1997-2001: The Desert Margins Programme (DMP), Technical and Annual Reports for the NALRC, Marsabit.
- Rehabilitation and usage of trees and shrubs around Kargi settlement. In the Kenya Agricultural Research Institute Annual report 2000. Pg. 139.
- Long dry season report (2000). (Ndathi, A.J.N.). KARI/KEFRI DMP reports.Field trip report on Kalacha, Kargi, Korr and Ngurunit (2000). (Ndathi, A.J.N.). KARI/KEFRI DMP reports.
- Support to Environmental Management Committee and local community in Kargi, Marsabit. In Desert Margins Programme (DMP), Kenya component. Final Technical Report. October 1997-February 2001. April 2001. Pg. 25-27.
- 2000-2003: The Livestock Early Warning System (LEWS), Annual Reports for the NALRC, Marsabit.
Professional courses attended
- Scientific data management and journal publishing training workshop. 14th to 23rd July 2011, Kampala, Uganda.
- Applied statistics course training. 15th to 19th November 2010. KARI, Naivasha, Kenya.
- Climate risk assessment for agriculture workshop. 17th – 21st August 2009. IGAD climate prediction and applications centre, Nairobi, Kenya.
- Personal mastery and soft skills training workshop, stage 1. 13th – 23rd July 2009. Egerton University, Njoro, Kenya.
- On- farm experimental Design and Computerized Analysis of Statistical Data Training. 24th January – 12th February 1999. Egerton University, Njoro, Kenya.
- Gender in Agricultural Research and Extension Training. 2nd – 6th November 1998. National Range Research Centre, Kiboko, Kenya.
- Approved Computer Course of Study in MS Office 97 Training. July 1998. Micrologic Computer Training Institute, Nairobi, Kenya.
- Participatory Rural Appraisal (PRA) Training. 21st September to 3rd October 1997. National Range Research Centre, Kiboko, Kenya.
- Strengthening Linkages between Research and Technology users. 6th – 10th October 1997. National Range Research Centre, Kiboko, Kenya.