Department of Agricultural Sciences
Present position:Tutorial Fellow;Department of Agricultural Sciences
Professional Research Interests
Research in the following Fields:
- Animal Production Systems and linkages to Environmental Sciences
- Animal Breeding and Genetics for increased livestock production
- Animal nutrition and advanced Feed Technology
- Animal Biodiversity and Conservation Biology
- Range, Wildlife and Environment Sciences for sustainable livelihoods
- Agricultural Resource Management and Livestock Economics.
- Project Management and Evaluation.
- PhD in Animal Science – ongoing at South Eastern Kenya University (SEKU) 2017
• Specializing in Animal Nutrition and Feed Technology sciences in Ruminants
• Interested in adoption of technological advancement for food and nutrition security
- Master of Science (M.Sc.) South Eastern Kenya University (SEKU) - 2016
● Agricultural Resource Management - Specializing in Livestock Production Systems.
● Title of the thesis: “Determinants of adoption of forage technologies among peri-urban dairy farmers in the semi-arid region of South Eastern Kenya”. M.Sc Thesis, South Eastern Kenya University (SEKU)
- Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.) University of Nairobi, Kenya, December, 1994 Discipline – Range Management.
- KACE (A – Level) – MCB, 3P 1S -10 Points, Machakos Boys’ School; 1989
- KCE (O – Level) - Division 1 – 16 Points, Kabaa Boys’ High School; 1987
- Range Management - University of Nairobi – December 1994
- Research proposal writing – South Eastern Kenya University (SEKU) – September, 2012
- Agricultural Resource Management (Livestock production option)– South Eastern Kenya University – March 2016
- Animal Science - specializing in Animal nutrition and technological interventions- ongoing
Paper presented in conferences / workshops/seminars
- Mutavi, S.K, Kanui, T.I, Njarui, D.M.G and Karanja, T (2013). Factors affecting Adoption of Dairy and Forage Innovations in Peri-Urban Dairy productions in Eastern and Central Africa. Paper presented at ASARECA Workshop on “Harnessing Crop-Livestock integration to Enhance Food Security and Livelihoods Resilience to Effects of Climate Variability and Change in Semi-arid regions of Eastern and Central Africa 31th July 2013 to 2th August, 2013, KIE, Nairobi, Kenya.
- Status of Milk marketing and Processing in Kenya: Paper presented at University of Nairobi in July 1994.
- Mutavi, S. K. (2016). Determinants of adoption of forage technologies among peri-urban dairy farmers in the semi-arid region of South Eastern Kenya. M.Sc Thesis, South Eastern Kenya University.
- Mutavi, S. K., Kanui, T. I., Njarui, D. M., Musimba, N. R. K., and Amwata, D. A. (2016). Innovativeness and adaptations: The way forward for Small scale peri-urban dairy farmers in semi-arid regions of south eastern Kenya.
- Mutavi, S. K., and Amwata, D. A. (2018). Constraints and Opportunities Among Small Scale Peri-Urban Dairy Farmers in the South Eastern Kenya Rangelands.
- Online member - Nature Conservancy Network: This is a network on News, Views and Information about Science, Technology and Climate Variability and Change for sustainable livelihoods.
- Online member – Society for Conservation Biology: Network - platform for sharing and disseminating research findings with special reference to conservation of Biodiversity, livelihoods sustainability and environmental resilience.