Education Background & Awards:
- 2009 – 2013: PhD in Plant Sciences from the Institute of Agricultural Sciences (IAS), ETH-Zürich, Switzerland.
- 2006 – 2009: Master of Science in Crop Protection from the University of Nairobi, Kenya
- 2001 – 2005: Bachelor of Science in Agriculture from the University of Nairobi
- 1996 – 1999: Certificate in Secondary Education (KCSE), Kabarnet High School, Kabarnet, Kenya.
- 1988 – 1995: Certificate in Primary Education (KCPE), Ngetmoi Primary School, Kabarnet, Kenya.
- 2017: ABCF fellowship Award from BeCA-ILRI Hub for a six-month funding for research in management of plant viruses (major cassava viruses).
- 2009: North-South / ETH-Global, RFPP Scholarship Award, Zurich, Switzerland – three and half year funding to pursue doctoral studies in crop sciences (Cassava Tolerance to Drought)
- 2008: BeCA & IITA Graduate / MSc- Fellowship Award – one year funding for MSc. Project.
- 2006: Nairobi University MSc. Scholarship Award – pursue MSc. studies in Crop Protection
Publications & Projects
- Maluki, M., Orek, C.O and Akuja, T., 2019: Evaluation and selection of different legumes species based on morphological and nodulation differences under water deficient conditions of lower eastern Kenya. International Journal of Current Research, 11, (04), 3206-3214.
- C.O Orek, 2018: An Optimized Cetyltrimethylammonium Bromide (CTAB)-Based Protocol for Extracting RNA from Young and Old Cassava Leaves. Journal of Advances in Biology & Biotechnology, 19(4), pp. 1-7
- I.N. Koima and C.O. Orek, 2018: Response to Cassava Brown Streak Disease Infections in Local and Improved Cassava Genotypes under Field and Greenhouse Assays in Lower Eastern Kenya. International Journal of Pathogen Research 1(3), pp. 1-14
- I.N. Koima, C. Orek and S. Nguluu., 2018: Distribution of Cassava Mosaic and Cassava Brown Streak Diseases in Agro-Ecological Zones of Lower Eastern Kenya. International Journal of Innovative Science and Research Technology, Vol. 3 (1), pp. 391 – 399
- Koros, J.C, Runo, S.M., Yusuf, M., and Orek C.O., 2018: Screening selected cassava cultivars for resistance against cassava viruses and cassava green mites under advanced yield trials in Kenya. Journal of Biotechnology and Biochemistry, 4(5), pp. 37-52.
- Ngugi, K., Orek, C.O, and Mwang'ombe, A, 2013: Morphological and Physiological Measurement of the Stay-Green Trait in Transgenic and Non-Transgenic Cassava under Greenhouse Water Stress Conditions. Journal of Renewable Agriculture, Vol. 1 (5), 77 – 83.
- Orek, C., Zhang, P., Gruissem, W., Ferguson, M., and Vanderschuren, H., 2008: The Gene Expression Analysis of Staygreen Trait Associated with Drought Tolerance in Cassava.
- Excellent in English at writing, reading and speaking.
- Good in Swahili at writing, reading and speaking.
- Excellent in Luo (mother tongue) at writing, reading and speaking.