I am an accurate, adaptable, logical team player, committed to practical problem solving in a methodical and organized manner and can easily work under pressure and remain loyal to my course and your institution with a positive and courteous demeanor. I am dynamic having successfully worked in research, lectureship and strategic management.
- Oct’ 2013 –Sept 2017 PhD Food Science and Technology University of Nairobi. Thesis “Integrating Traditional Techniques into Conventional Preservation Methods to Upgrade Pastoral Deep-Fried Beef Products in Kenya”.
- Oct 2010- Dec 2012 MSc. Food Safety & Quality University Of Nairobi; Thesis: Governance structures & traceability in organic value chain in Kenya
- Oct 2006- June 2010 BSc. Food Science and Technology; University Of Nairobi; Research project: Production of banana puree for use in baby food
- 2001 – 2004: Nyeri High School; KCSE; Mean Grade A- (76 / 84)
- March 2018- Present: Lecturer, Department of Food Science, Nutrition and Technology; South Eastern Kenya University
Lecturing, supervising and mentoring students at the University.
- August 2018- July 2019: Postdoctoral fellowship at Curtin University in Western Australia Postdoc research in the school of Molecular and Life Sciences. Researching on whole community profiling of wastewater using metagenomic
- September 2017- August 2018: Research Associate at University of Nairobi The main roles: concept development, writing grants proposals, conducting research and reporting on progress.
- Feb 2017- March 2018: Butchery Manager, Tusker Mattresses Limited As food safety expert and HACCP team leader, I successfully implemented HACCP (Hazard Analysis Critical Control Points) food safety system across the retail chain outlet. I have also successfully overturned drop in section sales (-29%) to record performance and growth (+30%). I also successfully participated in several projects, such as outside catering during national events, such as the mater heart run. I have designed operational standard operating procedures to ensure sustained safety and quality of meat and meat products across the retail outlets.
- May 2016- Dec 2016: Research associate in RUFORUM Project Project title “Assessment of the efficacy of commonly used drugs in the control of coccidiosis and ectoparasitism of domestic rabbits in smallholder production systems in Kenya”. I guided 2 MSc students in research design, development of data collection tools (questionnaires, Key Informant Interview guides, Focus Group Discussion guides, checklists), data entry and analysis (using SPSS, Genstat, ArcView GIS and R statistics) and making inference.
- Oct’ 2013 – Sept’ 2016: Research assistant, RELOAD Project (Reducing Losses, Adding Value) Project title: Integrating conventional and tradition processing and preservation techniques to upgrade pastoral deep-fried meat products.I conducted research by doing desktop review of literature, planning and conducting fieldworks in pastoral regions, designing and conducting experimental designs on upgrading meat products, analyzing data, writing progress reports, writing scientific articles and presenting finding in international conferences. In addition, I tutored Bsc. Food Science and Technology Students. I also supervised Bsc students in their fourth year research Project.
- Sept’ 2014- June 2015: Part time lecturer in Masinde Muliro University of Science and Technology I lectured BSC Food Processing students in Sanitation and Waste Disposal; Cereal Technology; Beverage technology; Meat Science, Food Processing and Preservation and Vegetable Technology units. I organized theory sessions, practical sessions and academic trips. I set, invigilated and marked both continuous assessment tests and final examinations. I also mentored students on their careers.
- May 2013- July 2015: Product development and quality assurance manager in Nutra Foods I provided quality leadership to influence activities, both proactively and reactively. I also developed, trained and coached the organization team on continual quality improvement. I also made sure that complete, accurate and on‐time submission of regular reports in line with ISO 9001:2008 has been submitted to the management for controls and auditing. I was in charge of new products development and I spearheaded diversification to service provision to catering for outdoor and indoor events.
- April 2013- March 2014: Part time lecturer in Meru University of Science and Technology Duties: To lecture BSC students in Food microbiology I & II; Food chemistry; Food analysis; and Beverage technology units. I organized classes, laboratory practical sessions and academic trips. I set, invigilated and marked both continuous assessment tests and final examinations. I also mentored students on their careers.
- Apr 2011- May 2013: Research assistant and MSc student in ProGrov (Productivity and Growth along Organic Value Chains) Project Project title: Analysis of the Network structures and traceability strategies along organic products value chains.Roles: I conducted research by doing thorough review of literature, planning and conducting fieldworks across smallholder organic farmers around Nairobi, designing traceability systems for organic fresh produce, analyzing data, writing progress reports, writing scientific articles and presenting finding in international conferences.
- Jul 2009- Oct 2009: Industrial Attachment at Mataara Tea Factory Company Limited Roles: supervised production of black CTC tea from green leaf receiving section, through cutting, rolling, fermentation, drying, sorting and grading, packaging and dispatch. I also did administrative work to gain experience of running tea industry in Kenya. I also took part in machine and equipment maintenance.