Senior Lecturer, South Eastern Kenya University (SEKU), P.O. BOX 170- 90200 Kitui
Department of Educational Administration & Planning &
Director TVET Programs
Personal address P.O BOX 60120 00200 NAIROBI
Tel: 0722245520 ; Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Date of birth: 1st October, 1969; Gender: Female, Marital status: Married;
Home County: Bungoma
Values; Honesty, Diligence, Professionalism, Excellence
I am a Senior Lecturer at South Eastern Kenya University (SEKU) Department of Educational Administration and Planning. I am currently the Director for TVET programs and formerly served as Director for Machakos Town campus of SEKU. I hold a Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) Degree in Educational Administration, from the University of Nairobi, a Master of Education Degree in Educational Administration from the University of Nairobi, and a Bachelor of Education degree in Economics and Geography from Kenyatta University. I have a total teaching experience of 30 years; 23 of which were in TVET institutions in different parts of Kenya where I held various administrative positions; and 7 years as a Lecturer at the South Eastern Kenya University. I have 26 publications in peer reviewed journals, supervised 8 Masters and one PhD students. I am trained in Quality Management System Administration and Auditing and I am a member of the Education Management Society of Kenya (EMSK) & Society for Education, Research & Evaluation in Kenya (SEREK).
- 2010- 2013: Doctor of Philosophy in Education; (Educational Administration), University of Nairobi. Title of my thesiswas “Effectiveness of The Head Teachers’ Strategies Used to Curb Drug and Substance Abuse in Public Secondary Schools in Nairobi County, Kenya”; Under the supervision of Dr. Ursulla A. Okoth (Senior Lecturer) and Dr. Rose N. Obae (Senior Lecturer).
- 2007 - 2009: Master of Education Degree in Educational Administration, University of Nairobi. Title of my project was “Principles’ Management Styles and Students Unrest in Public Secondary Schools in Nairobi Province, Kenya”; under the supervision of Dr. Rose N. Obae and Mr. Edward NjengaKanori.
- 1988 : Pre-university training National Youth Service.
- 1986- 1987: Kenya Advanced Certificate of Education,Butere Girl’s High School (3P, 1S)
- 1982- 1985: Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education,Butere Girl’s High School(Division 1)
- 1975- 1981: Certificate of Primary Education, Lufumbo Primary School (27 points).
I am a career Educationist having joined the profession as an Assistant Lecturer at the age of 21 years in May, 1991 and rose through the ranks to Principal Lecturer before leaving the service of TSC in September 2014 to join the University as a Lecturer.
Other Credentials/Recognitions & Awards
- Quality Management Systems Lead Auditors’ Course organized by SGS and the International Register for Certified Auditors (IRCA) United Kingdom.
- Internal Auditors’ Course by SGS United Kingdom.
- Kenya National Examination Council Examiner and Item writer.
- Implementation of Quality Management System course based on ISO 9001-2008 Standard organized by ALPEX and certified by Kenya Bureau of Standards (KEBS).
Current Professional/Scientific Interests, Memberships, and Activities:
- Member of Education Management Society Of Kenya (EMSK) 2010 to date
- Member of the Board of Management of The Kenya High School 2016 to date
- Member of the Board of Management of the All Saints Cathedral Schools 2006-2017
Research, Scholarly, Professional and Scientific Activities
- Kyambi, F.D,.Cheloti, S.K., &Maithya, R. ( 2018)Influence of Pupil-Teacher Ratio on Students’ Formative EvaluationPractices; a Case of Public Primary Schools in Mwingi North Sub-County – Kenya. Journal of education & entrepreneurship ISSN: 2636-4794 (Print), ISSN: 2636-4778 (Online) Vol. 5, N0.4, 25-42;
- Sitati, R.N. Cheloti, S.K & Njihia M. (2018). Enterprise resource planning system implementation and value realization in saving credit co-operative society of Nairobi; international journal of finance management ISSN 2229-712X.www.elixirpublishers,com. Issue no 119(2018)5108-51021.
- Cheloti, S.K., Okoth U. A.,&Obae, R.N. (2018). Guidance and Counseling Strategy in Curbing Drug and Substance Abuse (DSA) in Schools; Effectiveness and Challenges to Head Teachers in Kenya.World Journal of Educational Research and Reviews(WJER) Vol. 4(1), pp. 051-061, October, 2018. © www.premierpublishers.org, ISSN: 0437-2611. October 2018.
- Musyoka,J.W., Maithya, R., Cheloti, S.K., (2017). Influence of head teachers’ supervisory role on students’ performance in KCSE in public secondary schools in kathiani sub-county, machakos county, Kenya. International journal of humanities & social studies (ISSN 2321-9203. www.theijhss.com. Vol5 Issue 12, December 2017.
- Githaka Mwangi, & Cheloti, S.K., (2017). Enhancing completion rates in public day secondary schools in Kenya; the role of government bursary subsidy. Asian Journal of Education and Training Vol. 3 no.1, 69-73, 2017. ISSN (E):2519- 5387.http://www.asianonlinejournals.com/indexphp/EDU.
- Githaka Mwangi, Cheloti, S.K., &Obae, R. N. (2017). Influence of free day secondary education subsidy on completion rates; A case of public day secondary schools in Kitui County Kenya. International journal of research in economics and social sciences (IJRESS). Vol.7 Issue 2, February-2017, pp. 112-118.ISSN (o) 2249-7382 impact factor: 6.939, online at: http//euroasiapub.org.
- Michael, F.M., Maithya R.,& Cheloti, S.K., (2016).influence of teacher competency on integration of ICT in teaching and learning in public secondary schools in Machakos. Journal of Education and e-learning research; ISSN(E): 2410-9991, ISSN(P): 2518-0169, Vol.3, no.4,143-149.2016. http//asianonlinejournals.com/indexphp/JEELR
- Cheloti, S.K., & Mungai, A.G., (2016). Curbing drug and substance abuse in secondary schools in Kenya; the disconnect in school community intervention strategies. Elixir international journal. Elixir. Edu. Tech. 95 (2016) 40881-40888.www.elixirpublishers.com
- Mungai, A.G., Cheloti, S.K., &Obae, R. N. (2016).Learner factors influencing implementation of non-formal basic education curriculum at the non-formal education centers in Nairobi, Mombasa and Kisumu cities, Kenya. International journal of management and social science research review (IJMSRR). ISSN-ISSN 2494-6746. www.ijmsrr.com. (January 2016).
- Matheri, E, Cheloti, S.K., & Mulwa D. (2015). Principals’ gender and management effectiveness in secondary schools; a case of MtitoAndei Division Kenya.Journal of Education and Practice; International Institute for Science, Technology and Education (IISTE). VOL.6, No.11 (2015). Journal link; http//iiste.org/journals/.
- Cheloti, S. K. (2015). Management Styles and Students’ Unrest; Educational Administration Manual. Heinnrich - Germany:scholars-press. http://www.scholars-press.com; April, 1st 2015.
- Cheloti, S.K., Okoth U. A.,&Obae, R.N. (2015). Effectiveness of school curriculum as a strategy to curb drug and substance abuse in public secondary schools in Nairobi Kenya. International journal of Education and research; VOL. 5 Issue No.2 ISSN 2249-6947 (online): 2248052. April 2015. Impact factor 3.9678.
- Cheloti, S.K., Obae, R.N. &Kanori E.N. (2014). Principals’ management styles and students unrest in public secondary schools in Nairobi County, Kenya. Journal of Education and Practice; International Institute for Science, Technology and Education (IISTE). VOL5, No.29 (2014). Journal link; http//iiste.org/journals/.
- I have conducted research in the area of Educational Administration on; Students’ unrest in Public secondary schools (Cheloti, 2009) which recommended in part, abolishing of national mock examinationsas one of the remedies to curb students unrest in schools. Location; university of Nairobi repository.
- Between (2010-2013) as part of my PhD thesis, I conducted research on Effectiveness of head teachersStrategies used to curb drug and substance abuse in secondary schools (Cheloti, 2013)and recommended areas for policy formulation and implementation. Location; university of Nairobi repository.
Contribution to Academia
- 1991- Date: I have taught students at Degree and Diploma levels in Education Management and Economics and Business studies units.
- 2000-2013: I participated at the Kenya Institute of Education in developing various Diploma and certificate curricula which are currently in use by Technical Institutions and Polytechnics in Kenya.
- 1997- Date: I am a member of the team of contracted professionals for the Kenya National Examinations Council.
- 2009: I was member of the Technical panel that developed and recommended for adoption the harmonized industrial attachment supervision guidelines for Technical and Business students which is currently in use.
P.o Box. 60120-00200 Nairobi