- UNIVERSITY OF NAIROBI 1986-1989 BACHELOR OF ARTS IN ANTHROPOLOGY (FIRST CLASS HONS.)
- UNIVERSITY OF CAMBRIDGE 1990-1991 MASTER OF PHILOSOPHY IN SOCIAL ANTHROPOLOGY
- THE AUSTRALIAN NATIONAL UNIVERSITY 1994-1999 DOCTOR OF PHILOSOPHY IN EPIDEMIOLOGY AND POPULATION HEALTH
Courses attended and venue certificate obtained
- ADVANCED READING SKILLS AT THE IMPROVED READING CENTRE (ACT), CANBERRA, AUSTRALIA 19TH FEB-21ST FEB 1993 CERTIFICATE IN READING SKILLS
- WOMEN AND CHILDREN’S HEALTH: A SOCIO-MEDICAL APPROACH AT THE NATIONAL CENTRE FOR DEVELOPMENT STUDIES, AUSTRALIAN NATIONAL UNIVERSITY, CANBERRA 14TH JUNE-9TH JULY 1993 CERTIFICATE
- PROPOSAL DEVELOPMENT WORKSHOP – AT THE INTERNATIONAL CENTRE FOR APPLIED SOCIAL SCIENCE RESEARCH AND TRAINING (ICASSRT, UNIVERSITY OF YAUNDE I, CAMEROON 12TH-22ND MARCH 1995 CERTIFICATE
Secondary School Education
- EASTLEIGH HIGH SCHOOL 1979-1982 KENYA CERTIFICATE OF SECONDARY EDUCATION
- UPPER HILL SCHOOL 1983-1984 KENYA ADVENCED CERTIFICATE OF EDUCATION
- ST PATRICK’S PRIMARY SCHOOL 1972-1978 CERTIFICATE OF PRIMARY EDUCATION
- TEACHER SERVICE COMMISSION TEACHER MARCH 1985-MAY 1986 TO PERSUE HIGHER EDUCATION
- MOI UNIVERSITY TUTORIAL FELLOW MARCH 1992-2000
- HEAD OF DEPARTMENT JAN 2000 – PRESENT
- MARCH 2000- JUNE 2006 END OF TERM AS HEAD OF DEPARTMENT
- 1991 to Present - fellow of the Cambridge Commonwealth Trust
- March 2000-June 2006 Head of Department of Anthropology, Moi University
Publications in peer reviewed journals
- Khaemba J, Maithya HMK and MuangeV.M (2009) ‘Home-Based Care Service Provision for People Living with HIV/AIDS in Kenya: A socio-cultural Dimension’ in Maarifa: A Journal of Humanities and Social Sciences Vol. 3 No.2:129-134
- Koech, J, Maithya HMK and Muange V.M (2013) ‘The Influence of Socio-cultural Factors on Communication and Women Participation in HAV/AIDS Campaign in Kenya’ in International Journal of Humanities and Social sciences Vol. 3 No 1:60-66.
- Egesa O.B, Wanyama M and Muange VM (2014) ‘The Relevance of Intangible Cultural Heritage in Modern Times: Evidence from Babukusu Male Circumcision’ in Sociology and Anthropology 2(1)273-283
- Muange V.M. (2003) ‘Beliefs, Practices and misconceptions of HIV/AIDS’ paper presented at a workshop organized by Ministry of Energy and The National AIDS Control council, held at Wagon Wheel Hotel, Eldoret 11th June 2003.
- Muange V.M (2003)‘Psychological Aspects of HIV/AIDS at the Workplace’ paper presented at a workshop organized by the Ministry of Energy and The National AIDS Control Council held at Wagon Wheel Hotel, Eldoret 11th June 2003.
- Muange V.M. (2001) ‘Culture, Theatre and HIV/AIDS’ paper presented at the 3rd Summer School on ‘Cultural Productions and Conflict Resolution: Confronting HIV/AIDS Through Cultural Production’ held at Margret Thatcher Library, Moi University 4th-10th November 2001.
- Muange V.M. (2001) The socio-cultural barriers to condom use in Kenya: A case Study of Kisumu District, Kenya. Paper presented at the School of Socio-Cultural Studies seminar series, Moi University.
- Muange V.M (1992) ‘The Social Context of HIV/AIDS in Kenya’ a paper presented at a conference on ‘Family and Fertility Change in Western Kenya’ held at the Golf Hotel Kakamega 4th-8th July 1992.
Scholarships and other awards
- DAAD Scholarship for Post-graduate Studies at the University of Nairobi tenable (1989-1990).
- Cambridge Common Wealth Trust Scholarship for M Phil studies at Fiztwilliam College, University of Cambridge.
- John Crawford scholarship for Doctor of Philosophy Studies at the National Center for Epidemiology and Population Health, Australian National University
Membrship to professional organizations
- Member of the Pan African Association of Anthropologists (PAA)
- Member of the East African Association of Anthropologists (EAAA)