Lecturer and Ag. Chairman, Department of Meteorology
Primary Discipline: Meteorology
- Doctor of Philosophy (Meteorology), University of Nairobi, 2015
- Master of Science (Meteorology), University of Nairobi, 2012
- Bachelor of Science (Meteorology), University of Nairobi, 2010
- March 2017: Attended a SIGMA Regional Training Workshop on Geospatial Technologies for Agricultural Statistics and Monitoring at Regional Centre For Mapping of Resources for Development (RCMRD), Nairobi, Kenya
- February 2016: Attended the 2016 Ocean Sciences meeting of the American Geophysical Union in New Orleans, Louisiana, USA
- December 2015: Attended a training workshop on Using CGMS Statistical Tool (CST) for Yield forecasting with Earth Observation at the Joint Research Centre of the European Commission, Ispra, Italy
- September 2015: Attended a training workshop on climate change modelling using Providing Regional Climates for Impacts Studies (PRECIS) regional climate model at Tanzania Meteorological Agency (TMA), Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
- May-July 2015: Attended a training Course on Mobile Software Development and Entrepreneurship Program (MIT), at the eMobilis Mobile Technology Institute, Nairobi Kenya
- October 2014: Attended a Linux Certification Technical Workshop, at Linux Learning Centre, Nairobi
- November 2011: Attended a Climate change science and modeling in Kisumu, Kenya.
- October 2011: Attended a Climate change and policy writers workshop, at the University of Nairobi, Kenya
- July 2011: Attended a workshop on applications of Wireless Sensor Networks for Weather Monitoring in East Africa, at Chiromo Campus, University of Nairobi, Kenya.
AGU Berkner Fellow
Current Professional/Scientific Interests, Memberships, and Activities:
- American Geophysical Union, Member, 2015
- Elgon Young Professionals (EYP), 2014
- Kenya Meteorological Society, Member, Executive Committee Member (2016-2018)
Research, Scholarly, Professional and Scientific Activities
- Kirui J, Maritim W, Kiptot E, Wafula S, Ngaina JN, Kugonza J. 2015. Mobile phone ownership and use of short text message service by farmer trainers: a case study of Olkalou and Kaptumo in Kenya. ICRAF Working Paper No. 206. Nairobi, World Agroforestry Centre. DOI:http://dx.doi.org/10.5716/WP15691.PDF
- Kirui, JW., Muthama, JN., Opere, AO. and Ngaina, JN., 2015. Influence of climate change on smallholder dairy productivity; A case of Kosirai, Kenya, and Namayumba, Uganda. International Journal of Agricultural Science Research, Vol. 3(7), 126-135.
- Ngaina, JN., Muthama, NJ., Ininda, JM., Opere, AO. and Mutai, BK., 2014. Towards Precipitation enhancement through Weather Modification in Kenya. Global Meteorology, 3 (1):7-13.
- Ngaina, JN., Mutua, FM., Muthama, NJ., Kirui, JW., Sabiiti, G., Mukhala, E., Maingi, NW. and Mutai, BK., 2014. Drought monitoring in Kenya: A case of Tana River County. International Journal of Agricultural Science Research, 3 (7), 126 -135.
- Ngaina, JN., Njoroge, JM., Mutua, F., Mutai, BK. and Opere, AO., 2014. Flood forecasting over Lower Nzoia sub-basin in Kenya. African Journal of Physical Sciences, 1 (1), 29-35.
- Ngaina, JN., Muthama, JN., Opere, AO., Ininda, JM., Ng’etich, CK., Ongoma, V. and Mutai, BK., 2014. Potential of harvesting atmospheric water over urban cities in Kenya. International Journal of Physical Sciences, 2 (5), 069-075.
- Ngaina, JN., Mutai, BK., Ininda, JM. and Muthama, JN 2014. Monitoring Spatio-Temporal Variability of Aerosol over Kenya. Ethiopian Journal of Environmental Studies & Management, 7 (3): 244 – 252.
- Ngaina, JN. and Mutai, BK., 2013. Observational Evidence of climate change on extreme events over East Africa. Global Meteorology 2 (1):6-12.
- Shah, P, Chinwe, IS., Opiyo, R. and Ngaina, JN., 2012.Options for improving the communication of seasonal rainfall forecasts to smallholder farmers; the case of Kenya,Bonn German Development Institute, German Institute for Development Policy. Briefing Paper 17/2012.
- Ngaina JN, Mutai BK, Gadain H, Muthama JN, 2016. Predictability of East African Rainfall Based on El Nĩno-Southern Oscillation. 2016 Ocean Sciences Meeting, 21-26 February, 2016, New Orleans, Louisiana, USA
- Ngaina JN, Mukhala E, Maingi NW, 2014. Regional Assessment of Agricultural Production, Climate Change, Agricultural Trade and Food Security. Vulnerability and Impact Assessments (VIA) inception workshop. 7th-9th October, 2014. Bujumbura, Burundi.
- Ngaina JN, Mukhala E, Maingi NW, 2014. WMO sub-regional activities and future climate projection over the region using high resolution RCM. Climate Change Adaptation and Food Security Analysis workshop for IGAD and WFP OMN Region: 4 - 8 August 2014 in Radison Blu Hotel, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
- Maingi NW, Mukhala E, Ngaina JN, 2014. Variability and Trends in Current and Future Climate in East Africa Community. Fourth Conference on Climate Change and Development in Africa (CCDA-IV), 8-10 October 2014, Marrakech, Morocco.
- Ngaina JN. and Opere AO, 2014. Impacts of climate changes on Water resources in Africa. CHIESA’S 3rd Annual Project Meeting, 24 -25 March 2014, ICIPE Duduville Campus, Nairobi.
- Ngaina JN, Muthama JN, Mukhala E, Mutai BK, 2014. Impacts of climate variability and change on crop production in western Kenya. Greater Horn of Africa 36 Climate outlook Forum (GHACOF36), 26th to 28th February 2014, Botanical Hotel, Entebbe Uganda.
- Mutai BK, Muthama JN, Ng'ang'a JK, and Ngaina JN, 2014. Confounding Effect of Weather and Outdoor Particulate Matter on Asthma Incidence over Kenya, 26-28, February. The Thirty Sixth Regional Climate Outlook Forum (GHACOF36) and Young Scientists Forum, Entebbe, Uganda.