- 2013 – 2016: Yashwant Singh Parmar University of Horticulture and Forestry (India) PhD Environmental Science
- 2002 -- 2006 Egerton University, Master of Science Degree in Environmental Science.
- 1993 – 1998 Egerton University, Bachelor of Education – (Science) Zoology / Botany option (Biological Sciences) Graduated with First Class Honours
Work and Professional Experience
- 2010 to date South Eastern Kenya University Position: Lecturer, Department of Environmental Science & Technology Research Projects
- 2017 to date: South Eastern Kenya University Principal Investigator (PI) of the project funded by Kenya National Research Fund (NRF) entitled, “Climate smart water harvesting and conservation technologies for improved food security in selected parts of Kitui County.” Project Focal areas: Profiling of smallholder farmers’ vulnerability to climate change and variability, Determining the capacity of the soil and vegetation to sequester carbon under different farming systems , Cataloguing the different climate smart water harvesting and conservation technologies adopted by the farmers and Conducting field demonstrations to farmers of selected climate smart water harvesting and conservation technologies
- 2017 to date: South Eastern Kenya University Research scientist under ASALI (Sustainable approach to livelihood improvement) project. In charge of assessment of communities’ vulnerability to climate change and variability
Other Credentials/Recognitions & Awards
- Participatory Rural Appraisal, Egerton University, 2003
- Won Commonwealth Doctoral Fellowship, 2013
Current Professional/Scientific Interests, Memberships, and Activities
- Environmental Institute of Kenya (EIK), 2013
- Training in Natural Resources and Environmental Management especially Biodiversity and Ecosystems.
- Training in Occupational Safety and Health
- Environmental Quality Assessment especially Biodiversity and Ecosystems.
- Environmental Monitoring especially Biodiversity and Ecosystems.
- Human Impacts on the Natural Environment
- Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA).
- Strategic Environmental Assessment (SEA)
- Environmental Audit (EA).
- Environmental Valuation.
- Waste Management
- Integrated Natural Resources Management.
- Integrated Watershed Management,
- Rehabilitation and Restoration of Disturbed Environments.
- Formulation of Natural Resources and Environmental Management Plans.
- Reservoir Eutrophication Assessment and Control.
- Environmental Law
- Environmental Education
Research, Scholarly, Professional and Scientific Activities
- Ndungu C.K. and Bhardwaj S.K. 2016. Impact of mountainous cropping systems on groundwater quality and soil accumulation of heavy metals in mid-hills of Himachal Pradesh, in India. Nature Environment and Pollution Technology, 15:1221- 1226
- Ndungu C.K., Bhardwaj S.K. and Nancy L. 2017. Impact of mountain cropping systems on soil properties, nutrient availability and their carbon sequestration potential in mid-hills of Himachal Pradesh. International Journal of Current Microbiology and Applied Sciences, 6: 203-211
- Loria N., Bhardwaj S.K. and Ndungu C. K. 2016. Impact of cropping systems on soil properties, nutrient availability and their carbon sequestration potential in Shiwalik hills of Himachal Pradesh. Journal of Applied and Natural Science, 8(3): 1479-1484
- Ndungu C.K., Bhaardwaj S.K., Sharma D.P., Sharma R., Gupta R.K., and Sharma B. 2015. Vulnerability assessment of rural communities to environmental changes in mid-hills of Himachal Pradesh in India. Universal Journal of Environmental Research and Technology, 5: 61-71
- Ndungu C.K., and Bhardwaj S.K. 2015. Assessment of people’s perceptions and adaptations to climate change and variability in mid-hills of Himachal Pradesh, India. International Journal of Current Microbiology and Applied Sciences, 4: 11-18
- Mutunga E.J., Ndungu C.K and Muendo P. 2017. Small holder farmer’s perceptions and adaptations to climate and variability in Kitui County, Kenya. J. Earth Sci Clim Change. 8: 389
- Sharama S., Sandeep S., Bhardwaj S.K., Ndungu C.K., and Dutt B. 2015. Ethnobotanical uses of common plant species growing along National Highway 5 from Solan to Shimla in Himachal Pradesh. Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences, 4: 30-38
Email: email@example.com; Mobile: +254 722 472 706