Primary Discipline: Plant Molecular Epigenetics
- Doctorate Degree (PhD) in Plant Molecular Epigenetics from Northeast Normal University (NENU) in Changchun City, China, 2010.
- Master’s Degree (MPhil) in Forestry Pathology from Moi University, Kenya, 1999
- Bachelor’s Degree (BSc) in Botany and Zoology from Moi University, Kenya., 1993
- Post Graduate Diploma in Education (PGDE) from Maseno University, Kenya, 1998.
Other Credentials/Recognitions & Awards
- Diploma in Theology (Emmaus Bible School, 1989)
- The University of Nairobi, Kenya: Certificate in automation for research and diagnostics in molecular biology. Diagnostic of infectious diseases at the molecular level using high throughput computerized flat-forms. 24th- 26th June 2014.
- Stellenbosch University, South Africa: training in Concepts in post-harvest management of maize, Legumes and rice. May 14th - May 25th 2012.
- The University of Sydney, Australia: training in Storage, handling, integrated pest management in grains, management of Aflatoxin in maize and peanut, plant breeding, Economics of post-harvest management. May 26th – June 23rd 2012.
- The Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology, Ghana: training in Proposal writing, stakeholder engagement and evaluation and monitoring of project. Rural project appraisal. May 26th – July 20th 2012.
- The University of Lund, Sweden. Training in Agricultural education and the formation science parks using the triple helix model of university, industry and government. Sept 2015.
- The Technical University of Munich, Germany: Training in Reconciling human needs with environmental conservation and ecosystem services. Oct – Nov 2016.
- Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture And Technology, Nairobi, Kenya, 2001: Achieved: Certificate in pharmaceutical and Herbal Medicine Technology.
- 17th September 2014: Awarded a patent A patent (KE/U/2014/000451) for low cost smoked pots for water purification by KIRDI.
- Dec 2014 Awarded a certificate for excellence in Research Journal publication for the year 2013/2014 at South Eastern Kenya University.
- 17th July 2013: Awarded an appreciation letter by the university management for a great role played as a member of the exhibition committee by the Vice, Chancellor.
- 30th January 2012: Awarded an appreciation letter by the university management for successfully applying for book funding from global literacy project worth Kshs 12m for SEKU by the Vice, Chancellor.
- Certificate of excellence in Chinese character writing competition in 2007
- Certificate is culture display exhibition at Northeast Normal University in 2007.
- Certificate in Chinese language proficiency at Northeast Normal University in 2008.
- Certificate as a CCTV 9 English contest 2007 Judge at Changchun University, Changchun City, China.
- Certificate as a Judge in 21st Century Daily newspaper English speaking competition at Changchun University, Changchun on 4th June 2008
- Judge in China Daily newspaper in English speaking competition at Changchun University, Changchun on 22nd November, 2008
- Was the GRAND PRIZE winner for the March 2009 global DNA Methylation Survey sponsored by Applied Biosystems.
- Awarded a business letter of appointment as an honorary representative for Changchun high technology development zone, by Changchun city Jilin, province, China. On May 2010.
Current Professional/Scientific Interests, Memberships, and Activities:
- Member of African Biotechnology stakeholders’ forum (ABSF),
- Member of Chinese Society for Cell Biology (No. S232200179A)
- Reviewer in the African Journal of Biotechnology-2011, Impact factor- 0.560
- Editorial Board Member of the online journal of Chemical Engineering and material Science.
- Editorial Board Member of the online Journal of Applied Environmental and Biological Sciences (JAEBS).
Peer reviewed Research Publications
- Ednah Mutindi Masila and Josphert N. Kimatu. (2017). Antibacterial potency and differential synergistic effects of Zingiber officinale and Capsicum annum extracts against E. coli, Staphylococcus aureus and Pseudomonas aeruginosa. American Journal of Research Communication: Vol 5(2). pp. 66-76. ISSN: 2325-4076. (Feb 2017).
- Rhoda N. Kuisa, Josphert N. Kimatu, Titus I. Kanui. (2017). Farmers Perception and the Highlights of the Sources of the Chronic Aflatoxin Contamination amongst the Inhabitants of the South-Eastern Region in Kenya. Journal of Advances in Agriculture. Vol 7(1). Pp. 976-987. (Jan 2017).
- Boniface M. Mwami, Simon N. Nguluu, Jacinta M. Kimiti, Josphert N. Kimatu. (2017). Effects of Water Imbibition of Selected Bean Varieties on Germination. International Journal of Agricultural Research and Review: ISSN-2360-7971, Vol. 5(1): pp 579-587. (Jan 2017).
- Josphert N. Kimatu, (2016). Evolution of strategic interactions from the triple to quad helix innovation models for sustainable development in the era of globalization, Journal of Innovation and Entrepreneurship. JIAE-D-15-00032R1. Springer Journals. (March 2016)
- Emily Kitivo, Gedion H Nyamasyo, J.N. Kimatu and Peter N. Ndegwa, (2016). Diversity and abundance of subterranean termites’ engineers’ islands of soil quality in different land cover types. Journal of Biodiversity and Ecological Sciences Vol. 5, Issue 3 ISSN: 2008-9287. (July, 2016)
- Muluvi Geoffrey Mwanza, Mwania Jonathan Muema, Kimatu Josphert Ngui, Joseph Munyoki Mwinzi (2016). Scientific research and innovation for human development-the concept of science parks for Universities in Kenya. Educational Research (ISSN: 2141-5161), Vol. 7(4) pp. 100-105, (November, 2016).
- Sichangi Kasili, Daniel Patrick Kisangau, Josphert Kimatu (2016). Mainstreaming of HIV and AIDS in Kenyan University Academic Programmes: Impact on Students’ Sexual Behaviour. International Journal of HIV/AIDS Prevention, Education and Behavioural Science. Vol. 2, No. 4, 2016, pp. 20-26. doi: 10.11648/j.ijhpebs.20160204.11. (December, 2016)
- Josphert N. Kimatu, (2015). Correlating Aluminium Toxicity, Heterosis and Epigenetic Mechanisms in Maize Yield Improvement in Acid Soils. Journal of Biotechnology and Molecular Biology reviews. Vol 10 (2) pp 12-18. (March 2015)
- Nahashon Musimba, Josphert N. Kimatu, Benard Mweu, MWK Mburu, Simon Nguluu (2015). Germination effects of purposive bruchid screening of African ebony (Dalbergia melanoxylon) seeds in the arid and semi-arid region of South Eastern Kenya. Current Research in Agricultural Sciences, 2015, 2(2):60-66. (February, 2015).
- Real-world complexity of food security and biodiversity conservation. (2015) Jan Christian Habel, Mike Teucher, Berthold Hornetz, Ralph Jaetzold, Josphert N. Kimatu, Sichangi Kasili, Zachariah Mairura, Ronald K. Mulwa, Hilde Eggermont, Wolfgang W. Weisser, Luc Lens. Journal of Biodiversity Conservation. DOI 10.1007/s10531-015-0866-z. Springer. (January 2015)
- Josphert N. Kimatu, Wincaster M. Mutuli, Jane W. Mbiri, Benard Mweu, Nahashon Musimba, Thomas Akuja, Simon Nguluu, (2014). The dynamics of physical properties, seed moisture content, market economics and post- harvest management of six bean varieties (Phaseolus vulgaris) grown in the sub Saharan region in Africa. Journal of Advances in Agriculture, Vol 3, No 1, pp 102-109. ISSN 2349-0837. (September 2014)
- Nguluu, S. N., Karanja, J., Kimatu J.N, Gicheru, P.T., Musimba, N., Njiru, E. , Kathuli, P. , Nzioki, H., Akuja, T., Muli, B.K., Nzombe, N.N. (2014). Refining Dryland Farming Systems as a Means of Enhancing Agrodiversity and Food Security in Eastern Kenya: A review. Journal of Advances in Agriculture, Vol 3, No 1, pp 143-146. ISSN 2349-0837. (October 2014)
- Simon Nguluu, David Karanja, David Macharia, Josphert Kimatu, James Karanja, Henry Nzioki, Peter Kathuli, Daniel Mutisya and Nashon Musimba (2014). Response of different bean genotypes to soil nutrients and water in the semi-arid areas of eastern Kenya. Journal of Advances in Agriculture, Vol 3, No 1, pp 183-187. ISSN 2349-0837. (October 2014)
- Dong Hun Chung, Kelvin O. Nyariki, Kim Jong Su, Karren N. Onura, Johnson U. Kitheka and Josphert N. Kimatu. (2013). Introducing efficient low cost smoked pots for water purification for developing countries. Hydrology Current Res 2013, 4: 152, pp. 2157 - 7587. http://dx.doi.org/10.4172/2157-7587.1000152(September 2013).
- Kossi Ayenagbo, Josphert N. Kimatu, Stephanie Nguhi (2013). Economic and Socio-Political Situation: Challenges and Perspectives. African Journal of Business Management Vol. 7(30), pp. 2985-2995, DOI: 10.5897/AJBM12.582. (August, 2013).
- Kimatu J. N., Jiang L. Ngezahayo, F., Songdi C., Quan-Yuan Y., Pang J., Liu B. (2013). Alteration in Cytosine DNA Methylation patterns and levels induced by Aluminium toxicity stress in maize varieties. International Journal of Modern Agriculture, Volume 2, No.1, 2013. pp. 9 – 25. (March 2013).
- Agboola Rebecca S., Kimatu Josphert N., Liao Yu-Cai and Liu Bao. (2012). Morphological and cytosine DNA methylation changes induced by a combined effect of boron (B) and salt toxicity in Sorghum bicolor inbred line. African Journal of Biotechnology Vol. 11(48), pp. 10874-10881. (14 June, 2012).
- Kimatu Josphert N., Muluvi Geoffrey M. and Liu Bao. (2012). Genetic Diversity, Habitat Fragmentation and Epigenetic Variations. Book Chapter in the book "Genetic Diversity / Book 2", ISBN 978-953-307-1384-7. (March, 2012).
- Kimatu Josphert N., McConchie Robyn, Xie Xiuyuan, and Nguluu Simon N. (2012). The Significant Role of Post-Harvest Management in Farm Management, Aflatoxin Mitigation and Food Security in Sub-Saharan Africa. Greener Journal of Agricultural Sciences. Vol. 2 (6), pp. 279-288. (October 2012).
- Ayenagbo Kossi, Rongcheng Wang, Wengjing Wang, Nguhi Stephanie, Kimatu Josphert N., Patrick Judith Makse. (2012). The impact of globalization on African countries economic development. African Journal of Business Management Vol.6 (44), pp. 11057-11076, (7 November 2012).
- Cao Dong-hui, Gao Xiang, Liu Jie, Kimatu Josphert N., Geng Shu-juan, Wang Xiao-ping and Shi De-cheng. (2011). Methylation Sensitive Amplified Polymorphism (MSAP) reveals that alkali stress triggers more DNA hypomethyation levels in cotton (Gossypium hirsutum L.) roots than salt stress. African Journal of Biotechnology Vol. 10(82), pp. 18971-18980.
- Shawi Ali Al, Kimatu Josphert N., Khan Muhammad, and Hussain Kawkab Ali (2011). Enhancement of induced apoptosis in human melanoma A375 by a combination of natural compounds. Journal of Medicinal Plants Research Vol. 5(22), pp. 5400-5406. (October 2011).
- Kimatu Josphert N., Moussa Diarso, Congdi Song, Agboola Rebecca S., Pang Jinsong, Qi Xin and Liu Bao (2011). DNA cytosine methylation alterations associated with aluminium toxicity and low pH in Sorghum bicolor. African Journal of Agricultural Research Vol. 6(19), pp. 4579-4593. (September, 2011).
- Kimatu J.N. (2011). Effects of narrowing genetic base and abiotic stress on leaf-spotting in Grevillea robusta. Journal of Tropical Forest Science 23(2):117-124 (May, 2011).
- Kossi Ayenagbo, Josphert Ngui Kimatu, Zhang Jing, Cowbell Evadne and Wang Rongcheng. (2011). The industrial challenges for African countries in the era of globalization and information and communication technology. Journal of Economics and International Finance Vol. 3(3), pp. 168-175, (March, 2011).
- Kossi Ayenagbo, Josphert Ngui Kimatu, Zhang Jing, Sidime Nountenin and Wang Rongcheng, (2011). Analysis of the importance of general agreement on tariffs and trade (GATT) and its contribution to international trade. Journal of Economics and International Finance Vol. 3(1), pp. 13-28, (January, 2011).
- Kossi Ayenagbo, Josphert Ngui Kimatu, James Gondwe and Wang Rongcheng (2011). The transportation and marketing implications of sand and gravel and its environmental impact in Lome-Togo. Journal of Economics and International Finance Vol. 3(3), pp. 125-138, (March 2011)
- Josphert N. Kimatu and Liu Bao (2010). Epigenetic polymorphisms could contribute to the genomic conflicts and gene flow barriers resulting to plant hybrid necrosis (Review). African Journal of Biotechnology Vol. 9(48), pp. 8125-8133, 29, (November, 2010).
- Qi Xin, Kimatu Josphert N., Li Zhihua, Jiang Lili, Cui Yue and Liu Bao, (2010). Heterotic analysis using AFLP markers reveals moderate correlations between specific combining ability and genetic distance in maize inbred lines. African Journal of Biotechnology Vol. 9(11), pp. 1568-1572.
- Zhang Meishan, Kimatu Josphert N., Xu Kezhang, Liu Bao (2010), DNA Cytosine Methylation in Plant Development. Review. J. Genet. Genomics 37 (2010) 1-12.
- Bao Liu , Chunming Xu, Na Zhao, Bao Qi, Josphert N. Kimatu, Jinsong Pang, Fangpu Han. (2010). Rapid genomic changes in Polyploid wheat and related species: implications for genome evolution and genetic improvement. Review. J. Genet. Genomics 36 (2009) 519−528.
- Wambale, J.M., Ni Zhaohui, Kimatu J.N., Fan Li (2010). Escherichia Coli (E.coli) phoA gene inactivation, insertion and restoration based on the λ red system. African Journal of Microbiology Research Vol. 4 (10), pp. 903-914.
- Karanja J, Amugune N. O., Ininda J., Kimatu J.N. and Danson J. W (2009). Microsatellite analysis (SSR) of the correlation between molecular and morphological traits in assorted maize inbred lines. African Crop Science Journal, Vol. 17, No. 3, 133 – 144.
- Gao Xiang, Yang Dan, Cao Donghui, Ao Man, Sui Xin, Wang Qinmei, Kimatu J. N., Wang Li (2009). In Vitro Micropropagation of Freesia hybrida and the Assessment of Genetic and Epigenetic Stability in Regenerated Plantlets. Journal of Plant Growth Regulation 1435-8107.
- Zhang J. F., Kimatu J. N., Guo W. L. and Liu B. (2009). Habitat fragmentation causes rapid genetic differentiation and homogenization in natural plant populations – A case study in Leymus chinensis. African Journal of Biotechnology Vol. 8 (15), pp. 3440-3447.
- M. Li, L. Gong, Q. Tian, L. Hu, W. Guo, J.N. Kimatu, D. Wang, B. Liu. (2009) Clonal genetic diversity and populational genetic differentiation in Phragmites australis distributed in the Songnen Prairie in northeast China as revealed by amplified fragment length polymorphism and sequence-specific amplification polymorphism molecular markers. Annals of Applied Biology 154:1, 43-55.
- J.N. Kimatu, J.K. Koech and H.O. Kojwang. (2006). Leaf-spotting disease on Grevillea robusta in Yala and Kodera Forests in Nyanza Province, Kenya. Journal of East African Natural Resources Management, pp 144-150. ISSB: 1684-0755.
Published Presentations in International Conferences
- Kimatu Josphert (2007). Unlocking heterosis: Implications of epigenetic polymorphism by considering maize as both a polyploid and a diploid. 50th Annual Maize Genetics Conference. February 27 – March 1, 2008. Marriott - Wardman Park Washington, D.C. pp. 124, USA.
- Kimatu, Josphert Ngui (2008). Advancing from Biotechnology to Nanotechnology: The current and future potential risks and benefits in agriculture and food products. Proceedings of the 1st all Africa Congress on Biotechnology, Grand Regency, Nairobi, Kenya. pp. 509-515.
- Dr. Josphert N. Kimatu (9- 11 September 2013). The Significant Role of Post-Harvest Management in Farm Management, Aflatoxin Mitigation and Food Security in Sub-Saharan Africa. South Africa. (Sponsored by the Australian Government and South Eastern Kenya University (SEKU).
Acknowledged in the preparation and publications of the following papers (2009-2010)
- Japhet Wisdom, Zhou Daowei, Zhang Hongxuan, Zhang Hongxiang and Yu Tian (2009). Evidence of Phenotypic Plasticity in the Response of Fagopyrum esculentum to Population Density and Sowing Date. Journal of Plant Biology, 2009, 303-311.
- Koroma T. Alphaeus and Rongcheng Wang (2009). The challenges of energy supply for Sierra Leone’s economic development. Journal of Economics and International Finance, Vol. 1(7), 158-171.
- Zheng Yiying and Zhang Jingping (2010). Interface Water Catalysis of the Epoxide Opening. ChemPhysChem, 2010, 11, 65 – 69.
- Zheng Yiying and Zhang Jingping (2010). Catalysis in the Oil Droplet/Water Interface for Aromatic Claisen Rearrangement. J. Phys. Chem. A 2010, 114, 4325–4333.
- Zheng Yiying and Zhang Jingping (2010). The origin of the high enantioselectivity and a modified effective catalyst in the asymmetric cyclopropanation for unfunctionalized olefins. Advanced Synthesis & Catalysis. Issue 11-12.
- Xue Yong and Jingping Zhang (2011). A rational design strategy for donors in organic solar cells: the conjugated planar molecules possessing anisotropic multibranches and intramolecular charge transfer. Journal of Materials Chemistry, 21, 11159-11166.
- PhD Thesis: Aluminum Stress-Induced Alteration in Cytosine DNA Methylation and Its Possible Association with the Genotypic Difference in Tolerance to Aluminum toxicity in Maize. Supervised by Prof. Liu Bao, PhD Thesis, at Northeast Normal University, Changchun City, China. (CSC sponsored)
- MPhil Thesis: Studies on the causes of a leaf spotting disease on Grevillea robusta in Yala and Kodera Forests in Nyanza Province, Kenya. Moi University,
- M.Phil Thesis 1999 (Published). Supervised by Dr. H.O. Kojwang and Dr. J.K. Koech, P.O. Box 3900, Eldoret. Kenya. (Kenya Govt./ICRAF sponsored)
- BSc Project: The Genetic Resource of Sisymbrium erysimoides desf. In Uasin Gishu District, Kenya. B.Sc. Thesis, at Moi University, Kenya, Supervised by Prof. S. Baquar. (Kenya Govt. sponsored)
- Post Graduate Certificate: Extraction of Alkaloids from Acacia Drepalonobium and the Anti-microbial activity on Bacteria, Fungi and Marine Shrimps.
- Certificate Project, at Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture, Nairobi, Supervised by Prof. T. Akenga.(Self sponsored)
Dr. Josphert Ngui Kimatu, South Eastern Kenya University, Director of Research, Innovation and Technology. P.O. Box 170-90200, Kitui, Kenya. Email, firstname.lastname@example.org. ; Tel +245705521571 and +254734907740.
Dr. Josphert N. Kimatu, Lukenya Bible School, P.O. Box 2086-90100, Machakos Kenya. Email email@example.com. Tel +245705521571 and +254734907740.