Lecturer, Department of Life Sciences. Specialization area is Biochemistry and Molecular Biology. Research interest in Population Genomic/Evolutionary Biology. Has 6 years’ experience working in higher education
- Climate-driven erosion of genetic diversity in the Third Pole.
- Population genomics and phylogeography of Taxaceae species in South Western China
- DNA metabarcoding of Urticaceae in East Africa.
- Wambulwa MC, Meegahakumbura MK, Kamunya S, Muchugi A, Moller M, Liu J,Xu JC, Li DZ, Gao LM. (2017). Multiple origins and narrow genepool characterise African tea germplasm: concordant patterns revealed by nuclear and plastid DNA markers. Scientific Reports, 7: 4053. doi: 10.1038/s41598-017-04228-0
- Wambulwa MC, Meegahakumbura MK, Kamunya S, Muchugi A, Moller M, Liu J, Xu JC, Ranjitkar S, Li DZ, Gao LM. (2016). Insights into the genetic relationships and breeding patterns of the African tea germplasm based on nSSR Markers and cpDNA sequences. Frontiers in Plant Science. 7: 1244. doi:10.3389/fpls.2016.01244
- Wambulwa MC, Meegahakumbura MK, Chalo R, Kamunya S, Muchugi A, Xu JC, Liu J, Li DZ, Gao LM. (2016). Nuclear microsatellites reveal the genetic architecture and breeding history of tea germplasm of East Africa. Tree Genetics & Genomes.12:11. doi: 10.1007/s11295-015-0963-x
- Liu J, Milne RI, Möller M, Zhu GF, Ye LJ, Luo YH, Yang JB, Wambulwa MC, Wang CN, Li DZ, Gao LM. (2018). Integrating a comprehensive DNA barcode reference library with a global map of yews (Taxus L.) for forensic identification. Molecular Ecology Resources,18:1115–1131. https://doi.org/10.1111/1755-0998.12903
- Meegahakumbura MK, Wambulwa MC, Li MM, Thapa KK, Sun YS, Möller M, Xu JC, Yang JB, Liu J, Liu BY, Li DZ, Gao LM. (2018). Domestication origin and breeding history of the tea plant (Camellia sinensis) in China and India based on nuclear microsatellites and cpDNA Sequence Data. Frontiers in Plant Science, 8:2270. doi: 10.3389/fpls.2017.02270
- Meegahakumbura MK, Wambulwa MC, Thapa KK, Li MM, Möller M. Xu JC, Ranjitkar S, Liu J, Li DZ, Gao LM. (2016). Indications for three independent
domestication events for the tea plant (Camellia sinensis (L.) O. Kuntze) and new insights into the origin of tea germplasm in China and India revealed by nuclear microsatellites. PLoS ONE. 11(5): e0155369. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0155369
- Wambulwa MC, Wachira FN, Karanja LS, Muturi SM. (2012). Rolling Circle Amplification is more sensitive than PCR and serology-based methods in detection of Banana streak virus in Musa germplasm. American Journal of Plant Science, 3(11): 1581-1587.
- Wambulwa MC, Wachira FN, Karanja LS, Kiarie SM, Muturi SM. (2013). The influence of host and pathogen genotypes on symptom severity in banana streak disease. African Journal of Biotechnology, 12(1): 27-31.
- Muturi SM, Karanja LS, Wachira FN, Wambulwa MC. (2013). Ten (10) M Ammonium acetate is an efficient molecular concentration for the extraction of
genomic DNA from small insects used for rolling circle amplification. African Journal of Biotechnology, 12(39): 5790-5798.
- Muturi SM, Wachira FN, Karanja LS, Wambulwa MC, Macharia E. (2013). Paracoccus burnerae (Homoptera; Planococcidae) as a vector of Banana streak virus. Journal of Experimental Biology and Agricultural Sciences, 1(5): 405-414.