Prof Cornelius Wanjala, BSc, MSc (Nairobi), PhD (Botswana). Associate Professor. Specialization area is Organic Chemistry. Research interest:Ethnomedicine and Mapping the existing, emerging and re-emerging vectors and vector-borne pathogens for disease surveillance and sustainable healthcare. Has over 20 years’ working experience in higher education.
- Ethnoknowledge/Ethnomedicine: Focus on High Valued Plants of Kitui
- Mapping the existing, emerging and re-emerging vectors and vector-borne pathogens for disease surveillance and sustainable healthcare preparedness in Kenya.
- Assessment of Hazardous Wastemanagement in Oil Drilling Fields (Turkana).
- Ph.D Natural Products Chemistry, University of Botswana, 2001
- M.Sc Chemistry, University of Nairobi, 1995
- Bachelor of Science, University of Nairobi, 1992
Other Credentials/Recognitions & Awards
- DAAD Fellowship 1992 (for M.Sc), DAAD Fellowship 1998 (for Ph.D),
Current Professional/Scientific Interests, Memberships, and Activities:
- NEMA: Environmental Impact Assessment /Audit Expert 4030 2011
- Kenya Chemical Society No 295: Member 2016
Research, Scholarly, Professional and Scientific Activities
- Discovering poisonous plants by testing: The case of children in Mumias Sub-county, Kenya. Arabian Journal of Medicinal and Aromatic Plants. 2016 2(2), 99-109. Wanzala Wycliffe*, and Wanjala Cornelius
- Underlying Science for Human Geophagia: A quantitative analysis of elemental iron in soils frequently eaten in Kenya. Indian Journal of Ethno-phytopharmaceuticals 2016. 2(2), 84-90. Wanzala Wycliffe*, Wanjala Cornelius and Presiton Akenga
- The unique pharmaceutical potential applications of soils to livelihoods. Indian Journal of Ethno-phytopharmaceuticals 2016. 2(1), 13-32. Wanzala Wycliffe* Mwangi Dancan Murimi and Wanjala Cornelius
- Tagetes (Tagetes minuta L., 1753) essential oil. Elsevier; Editors Victor R. Preedy (2016). Wanjala Cornelius* and Wanzala Wycliffe. ISBN: 978-0-12-416641-7
- Coral bean: Usage of Coral Bean (Erythrina latissima, E. Meyer) seeds in human health 2011; (Book chapter 45). Nuts and Seeds in Health and Disease. Elsevier; Editors Victor R. Preedy, Ronald Ross Watson, and Vinood Patel. London, Burlington, San Diego: Academic Press is an imprint of Elsevier. Page 377-387. Wanjala Cornelius* and Akeng’a Teresa ISBN 978-0-12-375689-3
Department of Chemistry, South Eastern Kenya University, P.O Box 170-90200 KITUI