An associate professor in the department of Life sciences.
Specialization area is Plant Molecular Epigenetics and Pathology.
Other areas of speciality: Plant pathologist, Education Curriculum specialist, Botanist, Agricultural Extension: Post-harvest management consultant, Commission of University Peer Reviewer, Integrity Assurance Officer, Environmental Impact Assessment Expert, Online Educator.
Research interest: plant epigenetics, crop improvement in abiotic stresses, aluminum toxicity, microbiome, oncology, genomics and microbial genetics, biodiversity and climate change.
Has over 12 years’ experience working in higher education
- Transforming the Traditional Cassava Production Systems into Sustainable Food Security Strategy and Value Added Industrial Products for Rural Development in the South Eastern Region of Kenya
- Reconciling conservation with human activities and Biodiversity and conservations mapping-
- Youth business incubation hub for agribusiness innovations and increased employment opportunities project
- Development of Moringa for improved health, nutrition and household water purification
- An evaluation of different agronomic materials and Melia Volkensii leaves as substrate for the cultivation of oyster mushrooms in the semi-arid areas of Kenya
- Effects of Agro ecosystem Land Use Types on the Diversity, Abundance and Ecosystem Functions of Insect Pollinators
- Maize Varieties Kernel aflatoxin mitigation research in Kenya
- A sustainable approach to livelihood improvement through innovative agricultural practices in Kenya (ASALI)
Peer reviewed Research Publications
- Ednah Mutindi Masila and Josphert N. Kimatu. (2017). Antibacterial potency and differential synergistic effects of Zingiber officinale and Capsicum annum extracts against E. coli, Staphylococcus aureus and Pseudomonas aeruginosa. American Journal of Research Communication: Vol 5(2). pp. 66-76. ISSN: 2325-4076. (Feb 2017).
- Rhoda N. Kuisa, Josphert N. Kimatu, Titus I. Kanui. (2017). Farmers Perception and the Highlights of the Sources of the Chronic Aflatoxin Contamination amongst the Inhabitants of the South-Eastern Region in Kenya. Journal of Advances in Agriculture. Vol 7(1). Pp. 976-987. (Jan 2017).
- Boniface M. Mwami, Simon N. Nguluu, Jacinta M. Kimiti, Josphert N. Kimatu. (2017). Effects of Water Imbibition of Selected Bean Varieties on Germination. International Journal of Agricultural Research and Review: ISSN-2360-7971, Vol. 5(1): pp 579-587. (Jan 2017).
- Josphert N. Kimatu, (2016). Evolution of strategic interactions from the triple to quad helix innovation models for sustainable development in the era of globalization, Journal of Innovation and Entrepreneurship. JIAE-D-15-00032R1. Springer Journals. (March 2016)
- Emily Kitivo, Gedion H Nyamasyo, J.N. Kimatu and Peter N. Ndegwa, (2016). Diversity and abundance of subterranean termites’ engineers’ islands of soil quality in different land cover types. Journal of Biodiversity and Ecological Sciences Vol. 5, Issue 3 ISSN: 2008-9287. (July, 2016)
- Muluvi Geoffrey Mwanza, Mwania Jonathan Muema, Kimatu Josphert Ngui, Joseph Munyoki Mwinzi (2016). Scientific research and innovation for human development-the concept of science parks for Universities in Kenya. Educational Research (ISSN: 2141-5161), Vol. 7(4) pp. 100-105, (November, 2016).
- Sichangi Kasili, Daniel Patrick Kisangau, Josphert Kimatu (2016). Mainstreaming of HIV and AIDS in Kenyan University Academic Programmes: Impact on Students’ Sexual Behaviour. International Journal of HIV/AIDS Prevention, Education and Behavioural Science. Vol. 2, No. 4, 2016, pp. 20-26. doi: 10.11648/j.ijhpebs.20160204.11. (December, 2016)
- Josphert N. Kimatu, (2015). Correlating Aluminium Toxicity, Heterosis and Epigenetic Mechanisms in Maize Yield Improvement in Acid Soils. Journal of Biotechnology and Molecular Biology reviews. Vol 10 (2) pp 12-18. (March 2015)
- Nahashon Musimba, Josphert N. Kimatu, Benard Mweu, MWK Mburu, Simon Nguluu (2015). Germination effects of purposive bruchid screening of African ebony (Dalbergia melanoxylon) seeds in the arid and semi-arid region of South Eastern Kenya. Current Research in Agricultural Sciences, 2015, 2(2):60-66. (February, 2015).
- Real-world complexity of food security and biodiversity conservation. (2015) Jan Christian Habel, Mike Teucher, Berthold Hornetz, Ralph Jaetzold, Josphert N. Kimatu, Sichangi Kasili, Zachariah Mairura, Ronald K. Mulwa, Hilde Eggermont, Wolfgang W. Weisser, Luc Lens. Journal of Biodiversity Conservation. DOI 10.1007/s10531-015-0866-z. Springer. (January 2015)
- Josphert N. Kimatu, Wincaster M. Mutuli, Jane W. Mbiri, Benard Mweu, Nahashon Musimba, Thomas Akuja, Simon Nguluu, (2014). The dynamics of physical properties, seed moisture content, market economics and post- harvest management of six bean varieties (Phaseolus vulgaris) grown in the sub Saharan region in Africa. Journal of Advances in Agriculture, Vol 3, No 1, pp 102-109. ISSN 2349-0837. (September 2014)
- Nguluu, S. N., Karanja, J., Kimatu J.N, Gicheru, P.T., Musimba, N., Njiru, E. , Kathuli, P. , Nzioki, H., Akuja, T., Muli, B.K., Nzombe, N.N. (2014). Refining Dryland Farming Systems as a Means of Enhancing Agrodiversity and Food Security in Eastern Kenya: A review. Journal of Advances in Agriculture, Vol 3, No 1, pp 143-146. ISSN 2349-0837. (October 2014)
- Simon Nguluu, David Karanja, David Macharia, Josphert Kimatu, James Karanja, Henry Nzioki, Peter Kathuli, Daniel Mutisya and Nashon Musimba (2014). Response of different bean genotypes to soil nutrients and water in the semi-arid areas of eastern Kenya. Journal of Advances in Agriculture, Vol 3, No 1, pp 183-187. ISSN 2349-0837. (October 2014)
- Dong Hun Chung, Kelvin O. Nyariki, Kim Jong Su, Karren N. Onura, Johnson U. Kitheka and Josphert N. Kimatu. (2013). Introducing efficient low cost smoked pots for water purification for developing countries. Hydrology Current Res 2013, 4: 152, pp. 2157 - 7587. http://dx.doi.org/10.4172/2157-7587.1000152(September 2013).
- Kossi Ayenagbo, Josphert N. Kimatu, Stephanie Nguhi (2013). Economic and Socio-Political Situation: Challenges and Perspectives. African Journal of Business Management Vol. 7(30), pp. 2985-2995, DOI: 10.5897/AJBM12.582. (August, 2013).
- Kimatu J. N., Jiang L. Ngezahayo, F., Songdi C., Quan-Yuan Y., Pang J., Liu B. (2013). Alteration in Cytosine DNA Methylation patterns and levels induced by Aluminium toxicity stress in maize varieties. International Journal of Modern Agriculture, Volume 2, No.1, 2013. pp. 9 – 25. (March 2013).
- Agboola Rebecca S., Kimatu Josphert N., Liao Yu-Cai and Liu Bao. (2012). Morphological and cytosine DNA methylation changes induced by a combined effect of boron (B) and salt toxicity in Sorghum bicolor inbred line. African Journal of Biotechnology Vol. 11(48), pp. 10874-10881. (14 June, 2012).
- Kimatu Josphert N., Muluvi Geoffrey M. and Liu Bao. (2012). Genetic Diversity, Habitat Fragmentation and Epigenetic Variations. Book Chapter in the book "Genetic Diversity / Book 2", ISBN 978-953-307-1384-7. (March, 2012).
- Kimatu Josphert N., McConchie Robyn, Xie Xiuyuan, and Nguluu Simon N. (2012). The Significant Role of Post-Harvest Management in Farm Management, Aflatoxin Mitigation and Food Security in Sub-Saharan Africa. Greener Journal of Agricultural Sciences. Vol. 2 (6), pp. 279-288. (October 2012).
- Ayenagbo Kossi, Rongcheng Wang, Wengjing Wang, Nguhi Stephanie, Kimatu Josphert N., Patrick Judith Makse. (2012). The impact of globalization on African countries economic development. African Journal of Business Management Vol.6 (44), pp. 11057-11076, (7 November 2012).
- Cao Dong-hui, Gao Xiang, Liu Jie, Kimatu Josphert N., Geng Shu-juan, Wang Xiao-ping and Shi De-cheng. (2011). Methylation Sensitive Amplified Polymorphism (MSAP) reveals that alkali stress triggers more DNA hypomethyation levels in cotton (Gossypium hirsutum L.) roots than salt stress. African Journal of Biotechnology Vol. 10(82), pp. 18971-18980.
- Shawi Ali Al, Kimatu Josphert N., Khan Muhammad, and Hussain Kawkab Ali (2011). Enhancement of induced apoptosis in human melanoma A375 by a combination of natural compounds. Journal of Medicinal Plants Research Vol. 5(22), pp. 5400-5406. (October 2011).
- Kimatu Josphert N., Moussa Diarso, Congdi Song, Agboola Rebecca S., Pang Jinsong, Qi Xin and Liu Bao (2011). DNA cytosine methylation alterations associated with aluminium toxicity and low pH in Sorghum bicolor. African Journal of Agricultural Research Vol. 6(19), pp. 4579-4593. (September, 2011).
- Kimatu J.N. (2011). Effects of narrowing genetic base and abiotic stress on leaf-spotting in Grevillea robusta. Journal of Tropical Forest Science 23(2):117-124 (May, 2011).
- Kossi Ayenagbo, Josphert Ngui Kimatu, Zhang Jing, Cowbell Evadne and Wang Rongcheng. (2011). The industrial challenges for African countries in the era of globalization and information and communication technology. Journal of Economics and International Finance Vol. 3(3), pp. 168-175, (March, 2011).
- Kossi Ayenagbo, Josphert Ngui Kimatu, Zhang Jing, Sidime Nountenin and Wang Rongcheng, (2011). Analysis of the importance of general agreement on tariffs and trade (GATT) and its contribution to international trade. Journal of Economics and International Finance Vol. 3(1), pp. 13-28, (January, 2011).
- Kossi Ayenagbo, Josphert Ngui Kimatu, James Gondwe and Wang Rongcheng (2011). The transportation and marketing implications of sand and gravel and its environmental impact in Lome-Togo. Journal of Economics and International Finance Vol. 3(3), pp. 125-138, (March 2011)
- Josphert N. Kimatu and Liu Bao (2010). Epigenetic polymorphisms could contribute to the genomic conflicts and gene flow barriers resulting to plant hybrid necrosis (Review). African Journal of Biotechnology Vol. 9(48), pp. 8125-8133, 29, (November, 2010).
- Qi Xin, Kimatu Josphert N., Li Zhihua, Jiang Lili, Cui Yue and Liu Bao, (2010). Heterotic analysis using AFLP markers reveals moderate correlations between specific combining ability and genetic distance in maize inbred lines. African Journal of Biotechnology Vol. 9(11), pp. 1568-1572.
- Zhang Meishan, Kimatu Josphert N., Xu Kezhang, Liu Bao (2010), DNA Cytosine Methylation in Plant Development. Review. J. Genet. Genomics 37 (2010) 1-12.
- Bao Liu , Chunming Xu, Na Zhao, Bao Qi, Josphert N. Kimatu, Jinsong Pang, Fangpu Han. (2010). Rapid genomic changes in Polyploid wheat and related species: implications for genome evolution and genetic improvement. Review. J. Genet. Genomics 36 (2009) 519−528.
- Wambale, J.M., Ni Zhaohui, Kimatu J.N., Fan Li (2010). Escherichia Coli (E.coli) phoA gene inactivation, insertion and restoration based on the λ red system. African Journal of Microbiology Research Vol. 4 (10), pp. 903-914.
- Karanja J, Amugune N. O., Ininda J., Kimatu J.N. and Danson J. W (2009). Microsatellite analysis (SSR) of the correlation between molecular and morphological traits in assorted maize inbred lines. African Crop Science Journal, Vol. 17, No. 3, 133 – 144.
- Gao Xiang, Yang Dan, Cao Donghui, Ao Man, Sui Xin, Wang Qinmei, Kimatu J. N., Wang Li (2009). In Vitro Micropropagation of Freesia hybrida and the Assessment of Genetic and Epigenetic Stability in Regenerated Plantlets. Journal of Plant Growth Regulation 1435-8107.
- Zhang J. F., Kimatu J. N., Guo W. L. and Liu B. (2009). Habitat fragmentation causes rapid genetic differentiation and homogenization in natural plant populations – A case study in Leymus chinensis. African Journal of Biotechnology Vol. 8 (15), pp. 3440-3447.
- M. Li, L. Gong, Q. Tian, L. Hu, W. Guo, J.N. Kimatu, D. Wang, B. Liu. (2009) Clonal genetic diversity and populational genetic differentiation in Phragmites australis distributed in the Songnen Prairie in northeast China as revealed by amplified fragment length polymorphism and sequence-specific amplification polymorphism molecular markers. Annals of Applied Biology 154:1, 43-55.
- J.N. Kimatu, J.K. Koech and H.O. Kojwang. (2006). Leaf-spotting disease on Grevillea robusta in Yala and Kodera Forests in Nyanza Province, Kenya. Journal of East African Natural Resources Management, pp 144-150. ISSB: 1684-0755.
Published Presentations in International Conferences
- Kimatu Josphert (2007). Unlocking heterosis: Implications of epigenetic polymorphism by considering maize as both a polyploid and a diploid. 50th Annual Maize Genetics Conference. February 27 – March 1, 2008. Marriott - Wardman Park Washington, D.C. pp. 124, USA.
- Kimatu, Josphert Ngui (2008). Advancing from Biotechnology to Nanotechnology: The current and future potential risks and benefits in agriculture and food products. Proceedings of the 1st all Africa Congress on Biotechnology, Grand Regency, Nairobi, Kenya. pp. 509-515.
- Dr. Josphert N. Kimatu (9- 11 September 2013). The Significant Role of Post-Harvest Management in Farm Management, Aflatoxin Mitigation and Food Security in Sub-Saharan Africa. South Africa. (Sponsored by the Australian Government and South Eastern Kenya University (SEKU).
Acknowledged in the preparation and publications of the following papers (2009-2010)
- Japhet Wisdom, Zhou Daowei, Zhang Hongxuan, Zhang Hongxiang and Yu Tian (2009). Evidence of Phenotypic Plasticity in the Response of Fagopyrum esculentum to Population Density and Sowing Date. Journal of Plant Biology, 2009, 303-311.
- Koroma T. Alphaeus and Rongcheng Wang (2009). The challenges of energy supply for Sierra Leone’s economic development. Journal of Economics and International Finance, Vol. 1(7), 158-171.
- Zheng Yiying and Zhang Jingping (2010). Interface Water Catalysis of the Epoxide Opening. ChemPhysChem, 2010, 11, 65 – 69.
- Zheng Yiying and Zhang Jingping (2010). Catalysis in the Oil Droplet/Water Interface for Aromatic Claisen Rearrangement. J. Phys. Chem. A 2010, 114, 4325–4333.
- Zheng Yiying and Zhang Jingping (2010). The origin of the high enantioselectivity and a modified effective catalyst in the asymmetric cyclopropanation for unfunctionalized olefins. Advanced Synthesis & Catalysis. Issue 11-12.
- Xue Yong and Jingping Zhang (2011). A rational design strategy for donors in organic solar cells: the conjugated planar molecules possessing anisotropic multibranches and intramolecular charge transfer. Journal of Materials Chemistry, 21, 11159-11166.
- PhD Thesis: Aluminum Stress-Induced Alteration in Cytosine DNA Methylation and Its Possible Association with the Genotypic Difference in Tolerance to Aluminum toxicity in Maize. Supervised by Prof. Liu Bao, PhD Thesis, at Northeast Normal University, Changchun City, China. (CSC sponsored)
- MPhil Thesis: Studies on the causes of a leaf spotting disease on Grevillea robusta in Yala and Kodera Forests in Nyanza Province, Kenya. Moi University,
- M.Phil Thesis 1999 (Published). Supervised by Dr. H.O. Kojwang and Dr. J.K. Koech, P.O. Box 3900, Eldoret. Kenya. (Kenya Govt./ICRAF sponsored)
- BSc Project: The Genetic Resource of Sisymbrium erysimoides desf. In Uasin Gishu District, Kenya. B.Sc. Thesis, at Moi University, Kenya, Supervised by Prof. S. Baquar. (Kenya Govt. sponsored)
- Post Graduate Certificate: Extraction of Alkaloids from Acacia Drepalonobium and the Anti-microbial activity on Bacteria, Fungi and Marine Shrimps.
- Certificate Project, at Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture, Nairobi, Supervised by Prof. T. Akenga.(Self sponsored)
Dr. Josphert Ngui Kimatu, South Eastern Kenya University, Director of Research, Innovation and Technology. P.O. Box 170-90200, Kitui, Kenya. Email, firstname.lastname@example.org. ; Tel +245705521571 and +254734907740.
Dr. Josphert N. Kimatu, Lukenya Bible School, P.O. Box 2086-90100, Machakos Kenya. Email email@example.com. Tel +245705521571 and +254734907740.