Senior Lecturer, Department of Life Sciences.
Specialization area is Biology and Genetics.
Research Interests: Genetically Modified Organisms (GMOs); Food security – research on resilient crops in the ASAL region; Moringa Oleifera as a potential organic water purification agent; Health research – Public Health, Cancer
- The potential use of Moringa Olifera in water purification where the antimicrobial and coagulant properties of the plant will be investigated.
- Transforming the traditional cassava production systems into a sustainable food security strategy and value-added industrial products for rural development in the South Eastern region of Kenya.
- Facility for epidemiological profiles of snakebites, anti-venom efficacy and their socio-economic impact in three dry regions in Kenya.
- The performance of genetically modified bt cotton in the South Eastern region of Kenya.
- The role of microRNAs (MiRNAs) in breast cancer progression and their potential use as diagnostics.
- The use of chemical markers such as neurotransmitters to study stress in domestic animals.
- Muli EM, Makokha FW, Lusichi DM, Hunja CW (2020). E-Surveillance for Investigating Capacity of Health Systems to Detect and Control Infectious Diseases of Poverty: A Case of Kitui South Sub-County. IST-Africa 2020 Conference Proceedings Miriam Cunningham and Paul Cunningham (Eds) IST-Africa Institute and IIMC, 2020 ISBN: 978-1-905824-64-9
- Medard E, Hunja C, Yuka A, Yohei H, Abkallo H, Weiguang Z, David J, Brendon C, Culleton R (2018). The Toll-Like Receptor 2 agonist PEG-Pam2Cys as an immunochemoprophylactic and immunochemotherapeutic against the liver and transmission stages of malaria parasites. International Journal for Parasitology: Drugs and Drug Resistance: IJPDDR_2018_63_R1
- Waitumbi J, Kifude C, Hunja CW, Ogutu B (2018). Females of HbAS Genotype Have Reduced Concentration of the Malaria Protective Deoxyhemoglobin S than Males. Plos One 13 (9), e0203455
- Kitawi RC, Hunja CW, Aman R, Ogutu BR, Muigai AW, Kokwaro GO, Ochieng W (2017). Partial HIV C2V3 envelope sequence analysis reveals association of coreceptor tropism, envelope glycosylation and viral genotypic variability among Kenyan patients on HAART. Journal of Virology, 4(1):29.
- Mulenge FM, Hunja CW, Magiri E, Culleton R, Kaneko A, Aman RA (2016). Genetic Diversity and Population Structure of Plasmodium falciparum in Lake Victoria Islands, A Region of Intense Transmission. The American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, 16-0383.
- Toshihiro Mita, Richard Culleton, Nobuyuki Takahashi, Masatoshi Nakamura, Takahiro Tsukahara, Carol W. Hunja , Zin Zayar Win, Aung S. Marma, Lek Dysoley, Mathieu Ndounga, Mawuli Dzodzomenyo, Willis S. Akhwale, Jun Kobayashi, Haruki Uemura, Akira Kaneko, Francis Hombhanje, Marcelo U. Ferreira, Hiroyuki Endo, Jun Ohashi (2016). Baseline polymorphisms of artemisinin-resistant marker, Pfkelch13-propeller, in geographically widespread Plasmodium falciparum parasite populations: genotyping of archive blood samples. Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy 60:3340 –3347 doi:10.1128/AAC.02370-15
- Ngonga OG, Hunja C, Oman S, Lwembe RM (2016). Predisposing factors for HIV infection among injecting drug users in Malindi Sub-County, Kenya. International Journal of Health Sciences and Research 6(1): 417-423
- Hunja CW, Unger H, Ferreira PE, Lumsden R, Morris S, Aman R, Alexander C, Mita T, Culleton R (2013). Travellers as Sentinels: Assaying the worldwide distribution of polymorphisms associated with ACT resistance in Plasmodium falciparum using malaria cases imported into Scotland. Intern. Journ.Parasitol http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0020751913001811
- John N. Waitumbi, Samuel B. Anyona, Carol W. Hunja, Carolyne M. Kifude, Mark E. Polhemus, Douglas S. Walsh, Chris F. Ockenhouse, D. Gray Heppner, Jr, Amanda Leach, Marc Lievens, W. Ripley Ballou, Joe D. Cohen, Colin J. Sutherland (2009). Impact of RTS, S/AS02A and RTS, S/AS01B on Genotypes of P. falciparum in Adults Participating in a Malaria Vaccine Clinical Trial. Plos one 4(11):1 – 8